Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Can't you naysayers just be happy that they managed to escape with their lives?

I'm not a terribly religious person, mostly because of all the crazy dogmas and even crazier folks that seem to run the religions on this planet. However, humans seem, by all accounts, to be spiritual beings. People are going to pray. People are going to take comfort in their spirituality. Yes, there will probably be a deity or higher power attached to that spirituality. Deal with it.

Do I think a deity released them because they prayed hard enough? Probably not. However they very well may have given this predator second thoughts about his life and possible afterlife, or moved him by their desperation and faith.

In my book, there isn't anything wrong with prayer. Even if you're not actually talking to somebody, this world could use more time when we're not hammering away at keyboards or staring at America's next top whatever. So find something else to bitch about. You're an atheist? Congratulations. It's a free country and I'm damn glad we live in a society where we can make that choice. Being one doesn't make you de facto intelligent, though.
    This silly rant didn't change any opinions, especially given the emphasis placed on prayer in this story & this thread.

You didn't have to read this thread or respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    This silly rant didn't change any opinions, especially given the emphasis placed on prayer in this story & this thread.

Thanks for your post Poobert. Nobody has to agree or believe...there are just other ways of looking at things.

Just to quote my favorite spiritual tool: Forgiveness is a decision to look past what we think people are, and invite the Holy Spirit's vision of what they really are into our minds. What they really are is the Christ, the Son of God.
    He [the teacher of God] overlooks the mind and body, seeing only the face of Christ shining in front of him, correcting all mistakes and healing all perception.
    Recognizing the Christ in a brother who commits grievous acts like rape and murder is no different than recognizing the Christ in anyone, although it certainly seems more difficult. To see the Christ, we must look past our brother's acts, since the acts are simply things that his body did, and the Christ in him is not a body. We must also look past the faulty decisions and beliefs of his mind that led to such acts, because the Christ in him is beyond those faulty decisions and beliefs. The vision we will experience when we look past these things is a vision of our brother's reality: the face of Christ, his true Identity, which sweeps away the mistakes his body and his mind seemed to make. [[COA)
    Last edited by MizMotown; January-10-13 at 01:18 PM.

Neither did you - THREE TIMES. Okay, we got it. You're not the praying type. Great. But hey, we're here now.

Fox2 is generally more sensational than the other outlets. The story isn't too out of character for them. They could either:
    -Not report the story altogether
    -or omit the part about the prayer business [[to please you, apparently), which was obviously central to the victim's story, so that would be contrary to decent reporting.

I'm not saying praying changed the outcome of this situation, but the victim apparently believes so, and regardless, that is part of the story, even if it conflicts your personal beliefs.

The "point" is that something newsworthy happened and they reported on it, including the victim's statements. That's why they're the news.
    Last edited by poobert; January-10-13 at 01:43 PM.

Neither did you - THREE TIMES. Okay, we got it. You're not the praying type. Great. But hey, we're here now.

Fox2 is generally more sensational than the other outlets. The story isn't too out of character for them. They could either:
    -or omit the part about the prayer business [[to please you, apparently), which was obviously central to the victim's story, so that would be contrary to decent reporting.

I'm not saying praying changed the outcome of this situation, but the victim apparently believes so, and regardless, that is part of the story, even if it conflicts your personal beliefs.

The "point" is that something newsworthy happened and they reported on it, including the victim's statements. That's why they're the news.
    Right, and I'm not complaining about the topic or the posts in this thread like you are. As you said, "deal with it".

By your absurd definitions, the next time somebody prays they will survive cancer and end up dying, it's newsworthy that they report praying didn't work.

Right, and I'm not complaining about the topic or the posts in this thread like you are. As you said, "deal with it".

By your absurd definitions, the next time somebody prays they will survive cancer and end up dying, it's newsworthy that they report praying didn't work.
    LOL... Who knows, Fox 2 wanted to do the story on the crime and the victim probably went on about prayer so they included it. But yes, your point is taken Noise.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    LOL... Who knows, Fox 2 wanted to do the story on the crime and the victim probably went on about prayer so they included it. But yes, your point is taken Noise.
    My posts are less about Fox 2 and more about the first reply to this thread.

My posts are less about Fox 2 and more about the first reply to this thread.
    Using the quote feature may help you out a bit then. See how easy it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Using the quote feature may help you out a bit then. See how easy it is?
    How embarrassing for you. You must not have noticed I used the quote feature in every post I've made in this thread.

So we agree, Fox 2 is the TV equivalent of a tabloid and the story's over-emphasis on the prayer aspect was just pure sensationalism.