Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerKid View Post
It is true that in raw numbers, doubling the sales volume of an already low volume vehicle still yields yields a relatively low number. But it is directionally positive for the number to double. The volumes didn't stay static. They didn't shrink, and they didn't grow by 25%. They doubled. Regardless of the cold water being splashed here, it's not bad news.

The Volt team is likely happy about it and not dwelling on on still relatively small sales volume number. They are probably even more thrilled with the Volt scoring tops in terms of owner satisfaction.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/29/c...er-satisfacti/

I love what Ford has done with the C Max as well. But with its lower pure electric range [[~21 miles and a 14 gallon fuel tank), it's intent is closer to that of a traditional hybrid than the Volt [[~ 40 mile electric range and 7 gallon fuel tank). It's a bit less of a vehicle that could commute daily without ever using any actual gas. But what a great car to get 47 MPG for under $30k. Well done!

Neither vehicle is wrong in it's design approach. I think both are great advancements in fact. It seems like the industry is still finding its way in terms of a true "standard" for alternate energy vehicles, and it remains difficult to truly compare and contrast some of these vehicles side by side.
Great advancement on what level? Weight its the killer of all electric vehicles and in today's market with all the amenities demanded performance will never be what it should be plus battery technology has not progressed much in the last 100 years. The designs being offered have all been tried in the last 100 years and failed! Why do we keep banging our heads into the wall for a type of vehicle that has been a proven money loser for the last 100 plus years? I cannot wait until these very expensive batteries start failing and the enormous replacement costs plus ecological problems inherent with them rear their ugly heads! Also for those whose laptop batteries have been a big headache your car's battery is pretty much the same technology. Good luck dealing with that!