Ferndale does indeed have a large Gay population, despite some of the "expert" opinions" here on DYes. My husband and I have lived here for over 20 years, and have watched us go from "pioneers" [[Ferndale couldn't even support a McDonalds when we first moved in), to seeing the Gay community thrive in Ferndale.
The fact that the LGBT community center has been based in Ferndale for years now has acted as a magnet to draw GLBT individuals to the city. That helped pave the way for Ferndale to elect the first openly Gay mayor in Michigan history - as well as one of the reasons why Pride eventually moved from Royal Oak to Ferndale [[and now to Detroit). Despite losing Pride to Detroit, Ferndale still hosts a decent Pride celebration of its own.

While there are Gay people in every city in the area, Ferndale continues to draw LGBT citizens - this year alone we saw 2 new LGBT couples move into homes on our street, and I personally know of LGBT individuals living on nearly every street surrounding mine.

At a minimum, I think its safe to say that south Oakland county has a rather large concentration of LGBT folks compared to the surrounding areas [[but thats an opinion).