Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: "Frank Rizzo"

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Sure, but I just don't understand why you qualify racism as only being bad if it is practiced by whites. I think ALL racism is a problem, but apparently that's racist of me to say.
    When black people finally get some real political power, if they start redlining white neighborhoods or making sure the War on Drugs has mandatory sentencing provisions for powdered cocaine, then let's worry about black racism. Until then, black racism has about as much effect on my white ass as Martian racism.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    making sure the War on Drugs has mandatory sentencing provisions for powdered cocaine
    Don't forget the Congressional Black Caucus was responsible for the disparity of sentencing between cocaine and crack. Their reasoning was that the 80's crack epidemic was far more damaging to the inner city neighborhoods than powdered cocaine had ever been. Also don't forget that meth [[a primarily white drug) has stiffer sentencing than even crack.

Anyways, racism is wrong regardless of who is practicing it.

When black people finally get some real political power, if they start redlining white neighborhoods or making sure the War on Drugs has mandatory sentencing provisions for powdered cocaine, then let's worry about black racism. Until then, black racism has about as much effect on my white ass as Martian racism.
    Tell that to my father! Oops you can't because 6 black men profiled his car and shot him 3 times so they could have transportation to a party! Black racism is JUST as bad as white racism! If you think its ineffectual you really need a reality check!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Tell that to my father! Oops you can't because 6 black men profiled his car and shot him 3 times so they could have transportation to a party! Black racism is JUST as bad as white racism! If you think its ineffectual you really need a reality check!
    Just a question, were these assholes caught? Did you find out they profiled your Dad's car because he was white?

Don't want to bring any sore points, I'm just curious.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Unless these guys were committing a hate crime, it's just a tragic crime, not racism.

Unless these guys were committing a hate crime, it's just a tragic crime, not racism.
    The hate was they knew exactly where to look for the car and were targeting white people on Clairpoint intentionally so yes it was a hate crime! So please tell us how you will try to pass this off as not racist?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-30-12 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    U of D Mercy has little diversity outside of whites and blacks.
    Sorry but that's not true.

A number of students that go to UDM are elitist, racist, the very Rizzos this thread is describing.

But the student body was pretty impressively diverse.

Most people have moved on? Perhaps in your milieu, most people have moved on.
    You're probably right that I'm generalizing too much based on my on experiences, but I do think the entire country is moving towards this general worldview.

Yes, there are plenty of racist old folks, probably most of them white and living in the suburbs, but they'll be dead in a generation. Grumpy old men aren't the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Just a question, were these assholes caught? Did you find out they profiled your Dad's car because he was white?

Don't want to bring any sore points, I'm just curious.
    Yes all six were caught they were profiling cars on Clairpoint because they knew nice automobiles were driven up and down the street. Clairpoint is the street that leads to Bayview Yacht Club for those who are interested. For anyone interested in a 20 year saga you can start with his shooting in Feb. of 1990, both papers followed the story. If I ever get the urge I might scan some to the court papers from the 2 legal boxes of info I have collected over the years. His case brought about the Federal Car Jacking statutes and was the start of the downfall of Detroit Recorders Court.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-30-12 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Thank you Honky Tonk!!

The hate was they knew exactly where to look for the car and were targeting white people on Clairpoint intentionally so yes it was a hate crime! So please tell us how you will try to pass this off as not racist?
    It sounds to me like have-nots vs. haves, really. It's very hard to prove racial intent in a crime. If I were on a jury in this case, for instance, I'd need some sort of evidence, such as testimony that racial epithets were used in the commission of the crime, in order to be convinced that racism was at play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Grumpy old men aren't the future.
    Thank goodness for that!

It sounds to me like have-nots vs. haves, really. It's very hard to prove racial intent in a crime. If I were on a jury in this case, for instance, I'd need some sort of evidence, such as testimony that racial epithets were used in the commission of the crime, in order to be convinced that racism was at play.
    So black men intentionally targeting white people is not racist then what is? Oh by the way the left 100's of available cars in their neighborhood alone and went specifically for the cars on Clairpoint.

Also their answer when asked why they shot him was he was trying to get away!

We can also get into the blantantly racist black judge if you want to?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-30-12 at 04:44 PM.

Don't forget the Congressional Black Caucus was responsible for the disparity of sentencing between cocaine and crack. Their reasoning was that the 80's crack epidemic was far more damaging to the inner city neighborhoods than powdered cocaine had ever been.
    That's the second time you've posted that.

And it doesn't seem to be true, if it ever was:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/byron-...o_b_74016.html

"Civil rights leaders along with members of the Congressional Black Caucus have long argued, and rightfully so, that these laws disproportionately impact African Americans. They argue that laws stipulating harsher sentences for crack cocaine are racially biased because crack is more commonplace in the black community, while powder cocaine is used more often by whites."

Also don't forget that meth [[a primarily white drug) has stiffer sentencing than even crack.
    I don't know about that. Most of the meth laws seem focused on taking away the means of production, not locking up meth-heads. In fact, treatment seems to be prominent in laws regarding meth use.

http://sentencing.typepad.com/senten...ng_differ.html

The first comprehensive federal anti-meth law, enacted this year, focuses on cutting off the supply of the chemical ingredients used to make the drug — not on toughening punishments for dealers or users. "There seems to be more of an emphasis on shutting down these meth labs and trying to figure out ways to treat these addicts and then get them back into flow of society," says Cummings, a Maryland Democrat. "We don't get for crack or heroin that kind of support for prevention, treatment and rehabilitation."...

So black men intentionally targeting white people is not racist then what is? Oh by the way the left 100's of available cars in their neighborhood alone and went specifically for the cars on Clairpoint.
    Criminals targeting an enclave of the wealthy where rich people drive expensive cars is not necessarily racist.

Criminals targeting an enclave of the wealthy where rich people drive expensive cars is not necessarily racist.
    Go ahead delude yourself that is isn't!

Go ahead delude yourself that is isn't!
    Go ahead and delude yourself that it is.

Go ahead and delude yourself that it is.
    I totally believe it is and I think you will find you are in a miniscule minority on that. Also when did it become ok to commit a robbery because the victim has a nice car or is wealthy?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-30-12 at 05:02 PM.

I totally believe it is and I think you will find you are in a miniscule minority on that.
    Well, let's open it up for interpretation by a jury of our peers.

Given the situation, a car full of would-be criminals waiting to steal a fancy car, why would they go anywhere else? It is where almost every single car driving in or out will be a car of some value. I'm going to imagine it's pretty close to a neighborhood they know well enough to think they can get away. It's in Detroit, and there aren't a lot of places in Detroit where you can be sure so many cars are of good value. It just so happens that the members of that boat club are almost uniformly white, or else you might say that they selected a car with whites in it. There are so many factors there contributing to it being a likely heist plan, the racial component doesn't seem to be a very strong motive to me.

Where is your evidence that it was racially motivated? Were there any epithets? Did any witnesses observe racial taunts?

It's very hard to believe, also, when you understand that those who commit crimes against white people statistically earn longer, harder sentences in court than those who commit crimes against people of color.

Well, let's open it up for interpretation by a jury of our peers.

Given the situation, a car full of would-be criminals waiting to steal a fancy car, why would they go anywhere else? It is where almost every single car driving in or out will be a car of some value. I'm going to imagine it's pretty close to a neighborhood they know well enough to think they can get away. It's in Detroit, and there aren't a lot of places in Detroit where you can be sure so many cars are of good value. It just so happens that the members of that boat club are almost uniformly white, or else you might say that they selected a car with whites in it. There are so many factors there contributing to it being a likely heist plan, the racial component doesn't seem to be a very strong motive to me.

Where is your evidence that it was racially motivated? Were there any epithets? Did any witnesses observe racial taunts?

It's very hard to believe, also, when you understand that those who commit crimes against white people statistically earn longer, harder sentences in court than those who commit crimes against people of color.
    Well in this case they pleaded guilty and were let off by the judge with juvenile detention so your argument does not hold water! There does not have to be any name calling they passed up similar cars and targeted the white people and that in my book is racist! Please keep your lame answers coming I love the joust!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-30-12 at 05:11 PM.

JVB Guest

That's the second time you've posted that.

And it doesn't seem to be true, if it ever was:
    Congressional Black Caucus supported stiffer drug laws for crack than cocaine. You have members complaining about it now, but in the 80's when the laws came about they were instrumental in that process. And their reasoning was actually pretty sound at the time because crack heads really were much more dangerous than powder users were - don't you remember the crack epidemic and all of the violent crime that came with it?

I don't know about that. Most of the meth laws seem focused on taking away the means of production, not locking up meth-heads. In fact, treatment seems to be prominent in laws regarding meth use.
    Look it up - here in Michigan possession of meth has a stiffer sentence than possession of crack.

Congressional Black Caucus supported stiffer drug laws for crack than cocaine. You have members complaining about it now, but in the 80's when the laws came about they were instrumental in that process. And their reasoning was actually pretty sound at the time because crack heads really were much more dangerous than powder users were - don't you remember the crack epidemic and all of the violent crime that came with it?
    Hahaha. So, at one point in time, they supported it, but then when they realized that the effect was to disproportionately incarcerate people of color they opposed it. So what is exactly your point? Once they saw the effects, they opposed it, as would any person interested in fairness under the law.

Look it up - here in Michigan possession of meth has a stiffer sentence than possession of crack.
    Yeah, look up the national laws, which are not at all as draconian as laws enacted to deal with crack. You do realize the DEA and the feds are the 900-pound gorilla in the room?

JVB Guest

Hahaha. So, at one point in time, they supported it, but then when they realized that the effect was to disproportionately incarcerate people of color they opposed it. So what is exactly your point? Once they saw the effects, they opposed it, as would any person interested in fairness under the law.

Yeah, look up the national laws, which are not at all as draconian as laws enacted to deal with crack. You do realize the DEA and the feds are the 900-pound gorilla in the room?
    I'm pro legalization so you're barking up the wrong tree.

I'm pro legalization so you're barking up the wrong tree.
    Well, yeah, me too, so I'm not even barking.

There's a good new book about the justice system and the way it locks up a disproportionate number of black people. Check it out. It's called "The New Jim Crow, Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness" by Michelle Alexander.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast