Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
"according to Thomas Shapiro's groundbreaking work on the racial wealth divide, whites in the bottom fifth of all white households [[in terms of income) have, on average seven times the net worth of similar blacks. In large part this is due to a major advantage in home ownership and thus equity, due to passed down property from parents. Indeed, as Shapiro and his colleague Melvin Oliver have found [[and chronicled in their book, Black Wealth/White Wealth), whites with incomes below $13,000 are more likely to own their own homes than blacks with incomes that are three times higher, largely due to these intergenerational transfers of wealth"
LOL, keep telling yourself this; maybe it will make you feel better! Correlation doesn't equal causation! Maybe the poor whites own their homes because they're in rural hick towns, while blacks are renting in the ghetto.

Yeah, I'm sure that trailer in rural Arkansas is building the wealth! You do know that mobile homes are depreciating assets, don't you? They "build wealth" like a fancy car builds wealth.

And NYC, the most successful city in the U.S., also has the lowest homeownership rate. The homeownership rate in Manhattan is lower than in Detroit. Gee, those poor Manhattanites. I guess they don't get to build the wealth like Detroit homeowners get to do. How's that wealthbuilding been going these last few years? Home values down 50%, you say? Even more?

My parents came to the U.S. in the 1970's with nothing. They did jobs that no Americans [[black or white) would do, and now they live in Bloomfield Township. Don't give me crap about "intergenerational transfers".

Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Why is it that Haitian immigrants to the U.S. are more wealthy than African Americans after 10 years in this country?
Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
"
Maybe nobody is "directly suffering" today from slavery, but whites have benefited to this day, from privilege and intergenerational wealth transfers that is a direct result of the wealth that was obtained on the backs of slaves.
No they don't benefit. What a ridiculous arguement. No "white" today in the U.S. has benefitted from slavery. Most whites came to the U.S. long after slavery was abolished anyways. They were in Sicily or County Cork at the time. How exactly do they benefit?

Using this logic, all descendants of coastal Africa [[most African Ameicans) need to apologize to the interior states of Africa, because their forefathers 400 years ago benefitted from "privilege and intergenerational wealth transfers that is a direct result of the wealth that was obtained on the backs of slaves." They had slaves there too, you know? Still have them today in East Africa.

And what about Mexican Americans? Most are Indios, and were enslaved by the Spaniards, many on what is now American land? Where's their apology?

What about Irish Americans? Enslaved by the English. What about [[Southern)Italians? Enslaved by the North Africans. What about Eastern Europeans? Enslaved by the Ottomans.

There probably are very few people on earth that did not have ancestors that were enslaved.