Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I do agree with the OP about the lack of requirements for installation of basic amenities such as landscaping, bike racks, dark night sky floodlighting,etc. When new construction is approved. The City seems to think that every white box, stripped down plan using cheap materials is just fine. Witness the buildings and strip malls built for the drug stores, check cashing stores, auto-supply and $75 auto insurance. The standards are really, really low.
    Being a little nit-picky: aesthetics is a plural form, not possessive.
    Yes, my point exactly. you will not build such a thing in Birmingham or West Bloomfield. When they build commercial/residential projects it will DEFINITELY includes lush-langscaping, exterior lighting, benches, trash cans etc..We have to stop these developers from coming in and allowing the citizens to settle for less just because the city is desperate? What kind of mess is that, but then complain later about crime, residents getting mugged, store and cars broken into..etc. The little things goes a long way, aesthetics is key, PERIOD. Set a standard, that's why most believe that you can go into the city and do anything, because there isn't any enforcement's and regulation of such things.

Why not privatize lighting and create more of the "Clean Downtown" programs for different neighborhoods. I know funding is strapped, but I believe residents and business alike can help of with maintaining that, especially if it's in front of your property. Start ticketing people who get caught littering and/or being destructive to public property. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Yes, my point exactly. you will not build such a thing in Birmingham or West Bloomfield. When they build commercial/residential projects it will DEFINITELY includes lush-langscaping, exterior lighting, benches, trash cans etc.
    If you want "lush landscaping" to surround new construction in Detroit, then you basically want suburbia.

You will never get a transit and pedestian-friendly environment with that kind of drive-by, low density aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If you want "lush landscaping" to surround new construction in Detroit, then you basically want suburbia.

You will never get a transit and pedestian-friendly environment with that kind of drive-by, low density aesthetic.
    Not exactly... maybe not the entire city... but it's a start...
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/developme...dtownloop.aspx
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/m...oop041310.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You know whats funny about this, The Auburn is directly along the Midtown Loop, but there isn't any landscaping. Woodward ave in Midtown is a GREAT example of what I'm talking about, it need to be applied along other main streets.