Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grosse pointe [[french) means a large land mass that projects into a body of water. The city of East Pointe is landlocked and west of the "pointe". Not a very accurate description of anything, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Eastponite née East Detroit is not even in Wayne County and doesn't abut our fair City.
    Oh, but it does abut, if the fair city you refer to is Detroit..

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Oh, but it does abut, if the fair city you refer to is Detroit..
    You are correct, I should have consulted a map before making that erroneous claim. In my defense I had it fixed in my mind that Eastpointe bordered Harper Woods.

Forgive the oversight.

Pickford-B brings up an interesting pointe. Why Eastpointe and not Westpointe? Does anyone recall why they chose that name? I do recall that East Detroit had had a low-grade name-change movement going on for a couple of decades before the last vote.

At least they didn't name themselves after a mall like Westland did in the mid '60s.

After East Detroit changed its name, Detroit should have then changed its name to "Pointe"

^

Maybe Grosse Pointe du Sud?

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    ^

Maybe Grosse Pointe du Sud?
    Technically, that would be Windsor.

Trivia time Gnome... of Macomb County's 3 cities that touch 8 Mile... only 2 border Detroit... Warren and Eastpointe. St. Clair Shores does not. But the distance between them.... Detroit doesn't go east of Kelly/north of 8 Mile... and St. Clair Shores doesn't go south of [[old) 8 Mile/ west of Beaconsfield. That would be approximately the distance between the NW and NE points of Eastland.

When is the science center going to reopen

Looks like it's re-opening right after Christmas:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...r-reopen-month

Nice present for the city!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2