Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I agree. A girl I knew was murdered outside of a bar on the west side earlier this year in an attempted robbery. She wasn't white and she wasn't going into a gay bar either. Seems like nowadays you're playing Russian Roulette if you're trying to go to a bar that isn't in [[relatively) heavily guarded downtown Detroit.
    When i visit Michigan and want to hit a bar, I will find one in one of the beautiful little down towns like Waldenburg or Gingellville where I can mingle with others of the Detroit Diaspora and talk of the "good old days".

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I agree. A girl I knew was murdered outside of a bar on the west side earlier this year in an attempted robbery. She wasn't white and she wasn't going into a gay bar either. Seems like nowadays you're playing Russian Roulette if you're trying to go to a bar that isn't in [[relatively) heavily guarded downtown Detroit.
    Her murderer was featured in this news story:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012093...tion-offenders

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Something seems a little funky about that story. One car blocked all of 7 Mile Rd? Counting both parking lanes that's 4 lanes wide running East and West. Then they pulled the people out of their car and beat them up? Doesn't seem too likely, got to be more [[or less) to that story
    I was thinking the same thing. I was also wondering why it mattered that these people were gay.

I had a gun pulled on me at 8 mile and Gratiot... wait, that was in 1997 and I'm not gay... Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Exactly. While I may venture on occasion to "seedier" parts of town, there is no way you'd catch me regurlay attending ANY bars in that part of town, gay or no.
    It's not all that far from Buddy's, and I'm in there all the time.

That area along 7 Mile used to be a sort of mini-strip of gay [[and lesbian) bars many years ago. Sort of an east side equivalent to the Six Mile/Palmer Park area. I had good friends who used to play in some of those places. I remember driving by that bar many times years ago, but I must say that I am surprised to find out that it is still operating.

I'm at that Buddy's all the time too since I live in Hamtown. I'm referring to cruising around there in the wee hours of the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    I'm at that Buddy's all the time too since I live in Hamtown. I'm referring to cruising around there in the wee hours of the morning.
    Was it really the wee hours? I mean they were going to a bar and it wasnt some afterhours place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    With all of the empty spaces in shopping centers out in the burbs, why does the owner try to maintain a gay bar in a place hostile to whites and gays [[and just dangerous to blacks)?

It would seem that a quiet gathering place out somewhere near 14 mile might be a better solution.

Hope you are being sarcastic. Because if the Gay community did what you suggest, there would be posters here then accusing the Gay community of abandoning the city.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I was also wondering why it mattered that these people were gay.
    If they were targeted because they were Gay, then it matters.
    If they were targeted because it was assumed they were Gay [[seen coming out of the bar, etc), then it matters.

If they were a random victim of violence, then I agree it shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    Hope you are being sarcastic. Because if the Gay community did what you suggest, there would be posters here then accusing the Gay community of abandoning the city.
    Not being sarcastic. Given the cultural hostility toward gays and add in the fact that the neighborhood is bad, I would think it would behoove the owner of the bar to find a place with safety of his gay customers as the first priority.

Plus, the reason why there were so many gay bars at or near the edge of the city was partially for suburban customers. But the bars had to be in Detroit, since the suburbs and suburban police were long hostile to any gay establishments. I suspect putting a gay bar in a strip mall in many of our suburbs would still elicit a pretty strong NIMBY response.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-04-12 at 02:13 AM.

Say what? Never mind... I get the politic of the comment. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    If they were targeted because they were Gay, then it matters.
    If they were targeted because it was assumed they were Gay [[seen coming out of the bar, etc), then it matters.

If they were a random victim of violence, then I agree it shouldn't matter.

So where is Fox 2 on this one?
    LESBIAN COUPLE BEATEN IN APPARENT HATE CRIME FOLLOWING AN AUTO ACCIDENT IN DETROIT

Equality Michigan working with victims of the brutal beating that left one women unconscious

DETROIT – In the early morning of September 23rd there was an accident at Livernois and Davison in Detroit. The car of Courtney, age 22, and Kenyetta, age 20, was struck by two women in a SUV. During the exchange of information, the passenger of the SUV and Kenyetta got into a verbal fight that became physical. Courtney tried to intervene and break up the fight.
    The SUV driver allegedly said "I can't believe this man just hit me" and proceeded to call her boyfriend, who arrived within five minutes with four of his male friends. Courtney was allegedly told that because she "acts like a man" that she would "get beaten like one". The males attacked the couple, using anti-lesbian and anti-trans slurs. Courtney was knocked unconscious. Subsequently a Detroit Police Detective has been assigned to the case and the victims are in the process of submitting their statements.
    Hmm... wonder why this event isn't in the mainstream media, but the other one is?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Not being sarcastic. Given the cultural hostility toward gays and add in the fact that the neighborhood is bad, I would think it would behoove the owner of the bar to find a place with safety of his gay customers as the first priority.
    White people aren't hostile towards gays?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2