Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
1968 & 1969 UAW wages for non-skilled trades hovered in the $3.25 range per hour, give or take 15-20 cents depending on one's classification.

The big jumps came in the 1970 & 1973 contracts, which was after I left and swore I'd never work in another factory.
The reason I am in Detroit today started in those years when I learned from college classmates that Ford would hire students to fill vacationing worker gaps. I worked in the Dearborn Engine plant summers of 66,67,68 making a whopping [[for me back then anyway) 3.20 an hour which was about 3x minimum wage which is all I got paid with ZERO benefits in my small Wisconsin town). It increased a little more each year.

That was starting assembly line pay. It went up depending on things like skilled work and seniority. Time and a half for over time and double time for weekends helped me get through university debt free. Thank you UAW!

I have been solidly pro union ever since. I saw people who could work hard and join the middle class, get health care, send their kids to college, save up a pension and not get dumped because the boss decided to give your job to his nephew.

I'm sorry college kids today don't have the opportunity to work the lines with real working people and earn a decent wage while learning about working people and their struggles.