Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Paul from Oz View Post
    good Ozzie tucker mate!

I had to look that one up mate!

http://www.oldrecipes.webs.com/aussiefunjokes.htm

Don't forget us cousins in Canada! We are only a stones throw from Detroit

I would rather drink my own urine than Fosters! It was pretty big in the UK when I lived there but it's hard to find in Oz - thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    We have a lot in common.

Australia was founded by criminals, Detroit is run by criminals.

You have the outback, we have the east side.

You have billabongs, we have bongs.

You drive on the left, so do we.

Captain Cook visited often, we cook our police captains often.

You have a great Opera House with terrible acoustics, we have great acoustics with a terrible opera.

You have bars, we have bars on our windows.

You have huge insects, we have Kwame.
    just been reading about Kwame...doesn't sound like a fine upstanding gentleman! Unfortunately, every country in the world has this problem. My belief is that anybody that can 'really' make a difference never gets in power.
    Regarding our countries - There are few good comparisons above!

It's our wedding anniversary and I've taken my wife away for a few days. We are staying in Byron Bay [[used to be Baby Boomers hippy town) Northern New South Wales. Good to get away for a few days and yesterday we went Whale watching. Awesome! You can't imagine how big them suckers are until you are alongside in a boat. The skipper was saying that 12 of us and the craft weigh 3.5 ton and Moby there weighs 40 ton.

Happy anniversary! Sounds like a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Don't forget us cousins in Canada! We are only a stones throw from Detroit
    My wife was going to book a flight to Canada next year because friends of ours were living there but he just lost his job and moved back here. Always wanted to visit Niagra Falls and then go inland but Canada is vast and a couple of weeks wouldn't be enough. Always fancied Moose and potato pie!

hi, gotta say, i am glad u have joined the forum. as must know, just by being a viewer, u have to know that we all can be snide, rude, nice, sharp and opinionated. we have no sacred cows and all ideas are welcomed. as said earlier, come to the annual picnic and meet us all! WELCOME TO THE MACHINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    hi, gotta say, i am glad u have joined the forum. as must know, just by being a viewer, u have to know that we all can be snide, rude, nice, sharp and opinionated. we have no sacred cows and all ideas are welcomed. as said earlier, come to the annual picnic and meet us all! WELCOME TO THE MACHINE!!!
    Thanks Chinman. I like to think that I can hold my own in a verbal barrage but you gotta 'play nice' with the new guy! I have been on lots of forums and seen the fallout from 'Handbags at 20 paces' but have to admit, this forum seems pretty cool. [[Either that, or the moderators are extremely good at their job). I'm working on my wife to try and organize a trip over there...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul from Oz View Post
    'Handbags at 20 paces'
    I know that forum.

I expected this thread was about something happening in Windsor. Would a tunnel to Australia be shorter than going across the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    I know that forum.

I expected this thread was about something happening in Windsor. Would a tunnel to Australia be shorter than going across the water?
    There are tunnels going in everywhere around Australia so I reckon it won't be long before we tunnel across to your side of the world! They have named the tunnel boring machines Annabell and Joyce and are reputed to be the biggest in the world. Problem is, every time they build a tunnel, there is a toll to be paid. The longest tunnel so far is in Norway [[15 miles) and I think it will be quite a while before anyone tries to built one across a continent. Hope it's in my lifetime though!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    i am an old ex-detroiter. so ask away. I may know more than you want/
    Hi Oldertimer, thanks for your offer.
    One question that I would like to ask is how good/bad is the economy in Detroit? I keep seeing properties for sale at $1. Are some of the areas that bad that nobody locally wants to buy them? I've also seen properties for really good money and they are just a couple of suburbs away! What's the story?

We do things a little bit different here. A lot of people celebrate Christmas in July. It's ideal weather to cook a turkey and all the trimmings. December is usually stinking hot and a salad under a sunshade with a few beers looking out on the ocean is much more acceptable than a hot kitchen.
    I hosted a 'Christmas in July' party this year and had a hoot. Everybody brought an unwanted gift, wrapped in festive paper and had to dip into a sack at the end of the night. A 'G' String, Olay face moisturizer and a luxury foot spa kit were some of the gifts that the fellas' took home!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2