My 92 yr old grandmother just recently told me that she was quarantined in the mid 50's at Herman Kiefer for a false reading of TB [[which apparently were common).

Unfortunately, she had just started a new job [[after two years of selling buttons at Hudson's, which was entry level immigrant labor), and was moving out of her old apartment, and as luck would have it, was quarantined the weekend she was moving. A newly divorced single mother with four kids [[my dad being one of them), three years off the boat and already struggling, the kids were all split apart. Now homeless [[never moved into the new place), unemployed, [[the new boss wanted the new immigrant at work no matter what), and destitute, Herman Kiefer released her after three weeks and told her she didn't have TB, she was taken in by gangster Black Tony's secretary, where she stayed and cleaned Black Tony's Grosse Pointe house to get back on her feet.

As my grandmother continued the story, she started laughing, because while living at Black Tony's she applied for welfare, and the welfare agent had to meet her at the sizable Grosse Pointe estate. After about three months, she had enough saved, got a new job, and was able to get her kids back.