Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    Great news! I think the rebound of Downtown and the surrounding areas [[ Eastern Market, Belle Isle, Rivertown, Lafayette Park, Midtown, Woodbridge, Corktown) is all but assured. Now the focus needs to move to the neighborhoods that can still be salvaged. If crime could be reduced in a substantial way, I think that would be the last piece of the puzzle.
    Not the last piece of the puzzle by a long shot. Our educational system in shambles in Detroit. Until this downward spiral is stabilized, then slowly improved, all of this percieved progress will be for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Not the last piece of the puzzle by a long shot. Our educational system in shambles in Detroit. Until this downward spiral is stabilized, then slowly improved, all of this percieved progress will be for naught.
    Also, it's not just about the Downtown and Midtown areas when the neighborhoods are in shambles. When is there going to be attention focused on that?

I love that rb336 worked in a pro-Granholm comment - that would make him, officially, the last of her supporters!

No, merely someone who believes in credit where credit is due

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Also, it's not just about the Downtown and Midtown areas when the neighborhoods are in shambles. When is there going to be attention focused on that?
    With scare resources, addressing the neighborhoods becomes very difficult because of the breadth of the problem. I hope that the Detroit Works program will eventually lead to improvements in at least some neighborhoods. In the meantime, we are better off with a Midtown and Downtown on the upswing and suffering neighborhoods than having both the neighborhoods and Midtown and Downtown struggling.