Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger4me View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly, Verheyden Funeral Home was on E. Grand Boulevard and not on Mack Avenue. I don't recall any funeral homes on Mack Avenue between Mt. Elliott and Van Dyke.
    I remember when the old, long vacant, Mack Avenue Verheyden's [[It was just a storefront, not a stand-alone structure.) still stood on Mack. It's no longer there, now there's just a vacant lot at 7330 Mack.
    Name:  Verheyden.jpg
Views: 5416
Size:  35.3 KB

From the Verheyden Funeral Home web site:

When Charles Verheyden was only 10 years old, he went to New York to serve an apprenticeship under Frank E. Campbell, who at that time had probably the largest funeral home in the country. Returning to Detroit, he operated his first funeral business out of his home on Field Avenue, being only 20 years old. In 1910, he built a storefront funeral home on Mack Avenue near the old Eastern High School. The original building on Mack Avenue still shows the Verheyden name cut in stone on the façade. The business was moved to Grosse Ponte Park in 1942, where the Verheyden Funeral Home was opened at its present location. In 1951, the building was expanded and more than doubled in size.
    http://www.verheyden.org/Eulogy_of_O...er_425316.html

Could you be thinking of the old House of Diggs Funeral Home? That was in a formerly grand old house EGB not far from Mack.

This house on EGB between Vernor and Charlevoix was also a funeral home [[something like Povlitz Funeral Home) as late as, perhaps, 1980.
    Name:  EGB Funeral Home.jpg
Views: 5989
Size:  45.4 KB
    Last edited by Neilr; August-11-12 at 09:30 AM.