Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
I'll admit that I'm not sure how to feel about all of this. When you try to really think about the problems in Detroit, you'll realize that everyone is at fault to some degree - it's a melting pot of our imperfections.

Here's my issue with the white flight garbage. I moved to Harper Woods in 93 when the city was nearly 90% white. From 2000 to 2010 it went from 86% white to 48% white. In that same decade, crime tripled. My car was broken into a couple times. I never kept anything in the car but it's annoying coming to my driveway and finding my window shattered. Next I decided to park the car in the garage. I installed motion lights and within 6 months I catch a prowler in my yard trying to break into the garage. I then installed an alarm system. If they're breaking into my car and my garage, the house is next. Meanwhile at Eastland, people are getting carjacked and gangs are firing inside the mall. I can't even going shopping in the mall that's less than a mile away. The final straw came when my elderly neighbor was broken into and he was tied up, beaten and robbed. I said enough and sold my house for what I could and went to Sterling Heights. What am I suppose to do? I don't care that blacks were moving in. Why should I be made out to be the problem because I'm white want to live in a safe neighborhood? Also, there are many blacks who would love to leave Detroit but can't. They aren't sticking it out. Whites left Detroit in the 70's because it was the murder capital of the US.