Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
I understand the historical significance here, but why would I donate money to something that is intended to be removed from the Detroit area?

Why should I make a donation that would benifit the citizens of New York.

It should be restored and kept here in the Detroit area.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Absolutely, Claude. There's no point in the region paying to restore something that will never be seen again by regular Detroiters, is there? If that were the case,we'd be lining up to pay for the restoration of the St. Claire, which is staying here.

Speaking of the St. Claire, I see that Ron Katoo has decided to tear down the top wooden decks of the boat, and rebuild in steel. Finally, getting somewhere with a realistic plan, but whether or not it actually gets done is another matter altogether. You could see on the video above, the sway in the decks at the rear of the boat. At least the teardown will allow a structural steel build that is stable, but maybe not historically accurate.

The website Ron runs mentioned that in order to be a historical boat, they are worried about how much wood has to be kept in order for that to be done. I think that ship has sailed, for the St. Claire.