Quote Originally Posted by swiburn View Post
Well, until you've moved to Detroit, this is all just "mindless conjectural."
And what makes you think this St. Clare School will be there in 5 years? Catholic schools bordering innner cities do not have a good chance [[See Holy Rosary, Holy Redeemer and St. John Vianney in Flint)
Check back in four years, if you indeed move to Detroit.
I know St. Clare's enrollment is steady. Yes, it could close, but the world could also end tomorrow. One has to be cautious but you can't factor in every variable in the known universe. St. Clare also doesn't border the "inner city." It is in Grosse Pointe bordering the far east side. "Inner city" has actual meaning, and it is not "the City of Detroit."
St. Joan of Arc is very close by too.
One thing that hasn't been brought up is the challenges of raising a child in the suburbs.
One of my best friends has a young kid in an inner ring suburb, and, well, he may be the last kid in that inner ring suburb. The suburbs are aging rapidly - this isn't 1975. There aren't loads of kids around anymore. Her entire area is grumpy old ladies and some pervy old guys. The kid has no friends to play with except when they visit my house, ironically. It's actually pretty sad. Frankly, that is NO way to raise a child, with nothing but four walls and video games.