Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Man, that building is a wreck. Last time I went to Cliff Bell's I was hoping that they could save it somehow. At what point does a building get beyond repair? I hope something could change and they could restore that beauty but it doesn't look good at this point. One more parking lot for Tiger games. Ugh.
    There's a fine line depending on who you ask... the point of no return is certainly when the owner decides that financially it has no other option than seek demolition. Owners will say its when certain this or that is breaking, but generally without core structural problems, no building is beyond repair [[the whole point is that it is how it is because there have been no repairs). As you can see in the pic, the facade is crap but they literally have done no maintenance on it for 20 years. There is no buckling, leaning, or otherwise serious damage, just the facade is crumbling due to no maintenance and having much of the building open to the elements for years.

Not to say I have the funds to carry the property or fix it up, but I'm not the one who bought it in the first place. The final twist of the screw will come when then get the DEGC or DDA to pay for some/all of the demo costs.
    Last edited by cramerro; June-08-12 at 02:32 PM.