Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
The Coronado opened as a 24 unit luxury apartment building in 1894. Each apartment was 1,600 to 1.800 sq ft. During the hard times of the Depression the apartments were chopped into smaller spaces.

In 1981 Fred Lax bought the building and took it back to the original 24 units. They were for the most part not restored to their Victorian layouts but were modernized while keeping a great deal of the old woodwork, gas fireplaces, etc.

Mr. Lax was ahead of his time for the neighborhood was clearly the Cass Corridor and not Mid-Town in 1981.

The builder of the Coronado in 1894 was George D. Nutt who also built the city's first luxury apartment building, the Pasadena on East Jefferson. It's uncertain who the architect was. It could have been Fred Smith [[Smith, Hinchman & Grylls) who designed the Pasadena or perhaps Almon Varvey who built Detroit's first apartment building, the Varney [[now demolished) on Park Street.

The attachment is a brochure with floor plans, from the 1981 rehab of the Coronado.
Name:  Coronado Brochure.jpg
Views: 3676
Size:  52.1 KB
It's $600 a month, huge historic place, what a DEAL. Thats actually my layout of my apartment right here at the bottom of the picture. I love it, hope for plans to restore the fireplace. Living Room fronts Second Av., nice veiw and great neighbors. Very charming place, one of the best place I've lived.