Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
Space at most is very limited and allowing the entire region to use them would make for an all around poor experience for everyone.
I realize you mean well and are in the same boat on this, but isn't that kind of attitude the problem? I don't think public spaces make for a poor experience for anyone, except maybe the very wealthy who would prefer to have an absolutely private, exclusive experience.

There are parks all along the Pacific Ocean in San Francisco, for example, which is hardly a poor experience for anyone, if you've ever been there. You can walk, bike, bus, streetcar there and they are magnificent - and public.

Detroiters suffer from this too - not just inner ring suburbanites. I live in Detroit [[East English Village) and folks in the southern end of the neighborhood can hear the freighters - but never see them, because there is literally no where one can access the lake because of Grosse Pointe. I understand they don't want people causing a commotion but there is something sinister about completely blocking off a natural landform, which the Supreme Being in his wisdom gave us, from the "other." Also I hardly count myself as rifraff, I would really just like to sit and look at the water. I've brought this up before in other threads.

I've also complained how unappealing the suburbs are and certainly ready lake access would make them much more desirable and interesting. I think that would be good for everyone.