Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    I would hope that the DPD would have it out for a long-standing illegal establishment, I'm guessing they may have been acting on some sort of tips or complaints [[potentially a lot of them if they actually took action). That doesn't justify them stealing your friend's car, but certainly shouldn't make them the 'bad guy' for keeping those types of establishments in check.
    Uh, if the place is operating illegally, you shut the place down, you don't steal it's patron's cars. I've seen speakeasys padlocked and their power and water shut off. I would have gone that route instead of hosing people who, according to the author, didn't even know the place was operating illegally.

In addition, to toe the old 'money grab' line is pretty weak... the city hasn't made dollar one on this operation.
    I would say attempted money grab. Corruption or incomptetence short-circuted the attempt.

So long as suburbanites use the streets of Detroit as thier consequence-free adult playground
    Well, it's certainly sending a message that, if you come to Detroit to have a good time, you had better research the validity of parking spaces and thouroughly check the business credentials of the place you are patronizing, becuase if any of the paperwork is out of order, or if the neighbors just don't like the place, the police might make your car disappear.

Or you could just stay in the suburbs where things like don't seem to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Uh, if the place is operating illegally, you shut the place down, you don't steal it's patron's cars. I've seen speakeasys padlocked and their power and water shut off. I would have gone that route instead of hosing people who, according to the author, didn't even know the place was operating illegally.

Well, it's certainly sending a message that, if you come to Detroit to have a good time, you had better research the validity of parking spaces and thouroughly check the business credentials of the place you are patronizing, becuase if any of the paperwork is out of order, or if the neighbors just don't like the place, the police might make your car disappear.

Well if the people who, according to the author, didn't know the place was operating illegally then they probably deserved to have their cars towed. They're lucky the place wasn't raided. Not sure how old these alleged friends were, but for as long as I can remember a legal joint can't serve drinks after 2am.

Gotta agree with Cramerro, it wasn't about going somewhere to have a "good time". They were visiting the consequence free adult playground and lady luck didn't happen to be on their side that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Well if the people who, according to the author, didn't know the place was operating illegally then they probably deserved to have their cars towed.
    Seriously? Do you check the liquor license of every bar you go to?

Not sure how old these alleged friends were, but for as long as I can remember a legal joint can't serve drinks after 2am.
    Legislation was passed last year allowing some bars to stay open until 4AM.

Gotta agree with Cramerro, it wasn't about going somewhere to have a "good time". They were visiting the consequence free adult playground and lady luck didn't happen to be on their side that evening.
    Based on the OP's description of them going to a place to drink? What are you basing your inference on?

I'd be more inclined to cut the police some slack if myself, and most of my friends who work downtown, didn't have so much expereince with "creative" parking enforcement by the DPD.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post

I would say attempted money grab. Corruption or incomptetence short-circuted the attempt.

You mean the suburbs where they don't allow a racket to go on where rogue towing companies can just steal your vehicle.