Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Gentrification?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Love my house, love my neighbors, making investments into our neighborhood.

Did get a pause when a neighbor's husband worried too many white folk moving in. This disturbs me.

I can't even articulate what bothers me so. We are not rich, giggle lots on that one. We cut our grass, look out for our neighbors.

What is the issue here, I don't see one. Kind of like I mind my business you mind yours but I want a street that is clean and neat. They want the same but what is this color issue?

Gentrification happens in major coastal cities with overheated real estate values and a never-ending stream of young professionals moving into neighborhoods previously full of disadvantaged residents and then the landlords jack up the rents so that the existing residents are basically 'forced' out.

I don't think that's happening in Detroit. It's more of a trickle of urban pioneers. When, instead of 200,000 people leaving Detroit in 10 years, it's 200,000 people moving to Detroit in 10 years, we may have an argument for gentrification.
    Last edited by gameguy56; April-23-12 at 06:45 PM.