Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
Why are we still at 80%? I see DDOT buses all the time now without bike racks STILL. What gives? Wasn't there some mandate that they all had to have them? It has been years now.

Unless it's 100%, they're not really useful.

Let's say I'm waiting for the 8:08 southbound Conant bus at 7mile and Conant with my bike to get to my hypothetical job on Jefferson. If that bus happens to be part of the 20% that doesn't have a bike rack - Russian roulette, here - I have to wait till 8:58 and hope that the next bus does, or I'm fucked. In fact, I'm already fucked since I have to wait 50 minutes for another bus.
Transit needs to be reliable. There also seems to be a lack of knowledge of how to fit a fleet of buses with bike racks in less than a decade.
And yet another rant with the you owe me attitude in Detroit. Why should they spend all that money to fit every bus with bus racks when it only serve a very small percentage of rider's? If a large percentage of rider's had bicycles there would be no rack big enough to suit. Are you going to pay an extra fair to carry your bike? Or are all the other riders going to subsidize you? Spend the money to benefit the majority not the minority. The system needs a lot more then bike racks!