Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

And again - usually a Nigerian priest comes here to finish his education and his own diocese back home awaits his return very eagerly - because there are even fewer priests in Nigeria than here.
    And usually, those priests have to be nudged along to go home because they have a lot of patrons here and maybe someone offers a car and then there are dinners at family homes and a trip once in awhile and it gets tough to go home.
    The important thing to remember is that Fr. Jovita is not a priest of this Archdiocese. He is only a guest in this region and in our country. There are any number of reasons why he has to go home and to denigrate the decision is to be pretty ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    And again - usually a Nigerian priest comes here to finish his education and his own diocese back home awaits his return very eagerly - because there are even fewer priests in Nigeria than here.
    And usually, those priests have to be nudged along to go home because they have a lot of patrons here and maybe someone offers a car and then there are dinners at family homes and a trip once in awhile and it gets tough to go home.
    The important thing to remember is that Fr. Jovita is not a priest of this Archdiocese. He is only a guest in this region and in our country. There are any number of reasons why he has to go home and to denigrate the decision is to be pretty ignorant.
    Could not agree more. I would be very surprised to find out if the sentiments above, especially by BHAM1982 [[whom I usually find to be very rational), came from people who actually attend Catholic services. I am proudly gay and Catholic, and find no contradiction there. And I find no hate at church. In fact, we talk quite a bit about helping the community, and many of us volunteer. Even more give money. And church affiliated hospitals and clinics provide lots of low-cost and free health services, including for women. The church is only asking that there be a conscience exemption from being forced to pay for contraceptive and abortive services, which obviously are against church teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Could not agree more. I would be very surprised to find out if the sentiments above, especially by BHAM1982 [[whom I usually find to be very rational), came from people who actually attend Catholic services. I am proudly gay and Catholic, and find no contradiction there. And I find no hate at church. In fact, we talk quite a bit about helping the community, and many of us volunteer. Even more give money. And church affiliated hospitals and clinics provide lots of low-cost and free health services, including for women. The church is only asking that there be a conscience exemption from being forced to pay for contraceptive and abortive services, which obviously are against church teaching.
    Gay and catholic and you find no hate? I guess you ignore the pope [[that guy is his darling red loafers who has commissioned his own perfume - guess that's ministering to the poor - and the bishops.)

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Gay and catholic and you find no hate? I guess you ignore the pope [[that guy is his darling red loafers who has commissioned his own perfume - guess that's ministering to the poor - and the bishops.)
    That's the thing- Fr. Jovita is so kind and open minded and genuinely compassionate, he is the exact opposite of the "norm" when you think of the Catholic Church. I had the chance to get to know him when he was over at Star of the Sea a few years ago- he was the reason I actually let my kids attend church. He did not judge you on your politics [[mine being more left than most), or your views on sexuality or your past. He simply wanted to help you live a richer spiritual life by improving yourself and through helping others.

It is criminal that the AoD does not seem to value him. If they had more men like Fr. Jovita, they get some of their old parishoners back.
    Last edited by aoife; April-18-12 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling

I totally agree, aoife. He's the very best example of a Catholic priest.