Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    People lament the loss of the old neighborhood.

Indeed, many old neighborhoods are literally gone. However I live in one that is still very much going.

I know many people say Detroit is suburban in layout, but Detroit is very much more like the old neighborhood than the post-war suburb. Where I live neighbors actually talk to each other and look out for each other because frankly we have to - so we are friends and we get together and have drinks with each other too. There are no attached garages to avoid the outside world and everyone has a big front porch. There are no McMansions, only '20's tudors and pre-war bungalows. The focal point of the living room is the fireplace, not the plasma tv. There is no Ruby Tuesdays, only the corner bar. Which people walk to. And when you're a city Catholic like me, you go to your neighborhood church that doesn't look like a handball court. You know, one that actually looks like a church.

Detroit is also where all the eccentrics go to escape ridicule. Anything goes here. It's strange not to be strange. In Detroit you will meet the strangest, most colorful, interesting people. Where elsewhere neighbors would gossip and sneer, no one bats an eye here.

While so much of Detroit is lost, little pockets of Detroit like mine are an anachronism like that in many ways and I love it. In part because it is so old to begin with and full of such eccentric folk, and in part because corporations have left the neighborhoods untouched. It's like living in the 1940's - except my street is full of both black and white folk.

That sounds very nice. Where do you live, if I may ask, poobert?
    Last edited by gameguy56; March-29-12 at 10:48 AM.