Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    What magic wand is this group of 9 supposed to waive that's going to address the cash crunch? Allowing the city to borrow more money only pushes the problem down the road for 6 months. What will happen in 6 months that's going to stop the bleeding?
    Very good point. 'Waiving' the wand is a good choice of words. I think the goal is to kick the can beyond the elections. Mr. Snyder's party is already in trouble with blow back from their taxing pensions to anti-labor moves. Additionally Obama is ahead by 17 points and Stabenow by 22. The last thing they need is an angry and invigorated Detroit electorate and more ballot proposals.

Looks like it was good times relative to the er' 'agreement' yesterday:

Detroit Mayor Unhappy with State's Proposed Consent Agreement

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and other city leaders say they don't like the consent agreement that has been handed down by Governor Rick Snyder. The mayor feels the agreement does not represent the spirit of partnership needed between the city and the state to resolve Detroit's financial challenges. In fact, the mayor feels the governor and his team are taking the power away from the people.
    "I don't believe he's on board yet," said State Treasurer Andy Dillon.

Not only is Bing not on board, he seems downright disgusted, calling Snyder "disingenuous" in his recounting of a near deal after their meeting on Friday. Bing said after he and his team reviewed the consent agreement, he called the governor personally Monday morning to tell him the proposal is unacceptable because it does not leave elected officials in charge of the city.
    Dillon said it is a work in progress.

"I told city council I would like to be before them early next week because what I don't want to do is get towards this March 26 date and have the governor not have time to look at a Plan B if we need a Plan B," he told reporters.

Read more:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/detroit-mayor-unhappy-with-state's-proposed-consent-agreement-20120313-ms
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-14-12 at 06:22 AM.