Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Leadership on Parenting skills???

Is he the papa now or the Mayor of a city?

It's just too much. I'm not only completely ready to give up on Detroit but on this country. My family lives in Europe and I am thinking of joining them. They don't slaughter each other over there and you don't have to live in fear of your life when you live in a city. They also have self-respect and manners and decency even though by and large their living standards are far below ours.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    My family lives in Europe and I am thinking of joining them. They don't slaughter each other over there and you don't have to live in fear of your life when you live in a city.
    My Serb friend would beg to differ. There are areas of Europe that are fairly peaceful. Just like the US.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    It's just too much. I'm not only completely ready to give up on Detroit but on this country. My family lives in Europe and I am thinking of joining them. They don't slaughter each other over there and you don't have to live in fear of your life when you live in a city. They also have self-respect and manners and decency even though by and large their living standards are far below ours.
    If you mean that in Europe they don't have a TV in every room... or [[God forbid) their parents didn't buy their kids an X-Box.... or that they have to buy their food daily to prepare since their refrigerators aren't the size of a minibus and that they pay a higher rate of taxes to keep their streets nice, their infrastructure working and the general health of the people in order.... then yes their standards are lower than ours.

But their quality of life issues are in many ways much improved over ours [[in America).

Whenever I've visited relatives in Europe, I get depressed when I return and see the shabby infrastructure that we've "lowered the bar" to, in order so that we can get to keep more of our own money. Money is not happiness... and we're certainly not the "richest" country in the world in terms of happiness....

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Leadership on Parenting skills???

Is he the papa now or the Mayor of a city?
    No ! leadership in coming up with policies to enforce either by fine's or imprisonment to hold parents accountable for their minor children's actions.

Let's leave parenting skills to the social workers.