Many of my students [[who are misplaced Cooley kids) are on a bus for over an hour [[including bus stop wait times). most of the kids can't get transportation vouchers because they live closer to another school [[but DPS assigned them to our building anyway). Many of my kids have been to a new high school each year, because their old school closed. Most of those have NO pride in the building or their campus. I have 50 kids in each of my first three classes of the day and just about 33 in the other two. I am the ONLY English teacher at our small school [[we have 4 other schools in our building). Over half of my students receive some type of special ed services and another 1/4 NEED services but don't have the "label".

This is just sad...and the saddest of all is the closing of the Day School for the Deaf. They've made compelling arguments before to avoid closure and I sure hope that this new guy listens to them this time around. I can't sing enough praise about that school and what it offers to kids who would otherwise be lost in the sea of DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
While downsizing is a good thing that article is disturbing because it is doing nothing to solve ANY of the problems. It only serves to compound them.

Mumford High cost 50 million to build? Are you kidding me? What school costs 50M to build? Just one school that serves students for grades 9-12. No wonder Detroit is broke. So they are going to take 16 schools and assuming a MINIMUM of 200 students per school you are looking at taking 3,200 students who have problems learning and shoving them into a new school which will further overload the student to teacher ratio and not only that but troubled kids aren't going to care about school when they are dealing with adjusting to being around a new campus and new students. That is just a recipe for disaster. Not only that but how far are these newly displaced students going to have to travel to their new school? Who is going to pick up the tab for that cost?

This makes zero sense to address any of the problems it is claiming to fix.