Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Finally, a post without an attached link, and it's a dumb-ass slice of frivolous tripe like that.
    With a goddam smiley-face attached.
    tee hee....

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    STRESS was not without it's problems, however we have a crime wave that is killing youth and citizens in general nearly every week, sometimes multiples in a week and that's just what is reported! It's so crazy the morticians are on the news reporting a huge surge in their business:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...e-with-hearses

We've got to get on top of this on some responsive, effective manner or what will come will be make STRESS seem light weight!
    We don't a return of STRESS or any other Nazi SS style police tactics. STRESS was notorious for their blatantly unconstitutional practices. Fuck that shit.

What we need is a police department that actually shows up when they are called. 911 callers that have to wait hours for police response is simply unacceptable. If the DPD can't handle all of the 911 calls in a timely manner, then divert the overload to the county sheriffs and the state police. If the county and state police can't handle all the emergency calls, then call in the national guard or military to handle the 911 overload.

To be clear, I do not want the national guard or military to drive down city streets with tanks and machine guns, but if we have such a drastic shortage of local police officers that it renders us incapable of providing emergency response in a timely fashion, then we need to do whatever it takes to rectify the situation. Give the National Guard and Army troops badges, billy clubs, handcuffs, radios, and handguns, and send them out on 911 calls. Tanks and machine guns are not needed to respond to robberies, car thefts, or shootings.

I can't understand how the mayor, the county executive, the governor, and the president allow this situation to persist. America is the only industrialized nation in the world that allows this type of domestic violence and disorder to go on without any serious attempt to stop it.

America has 50,000 US soldiers in Germany and 35,000 in Japan, but we don't have the ability to respond to all the emergency calls in Detroit? The inability of our government to provide even the most basic core services to the citizens of Detroit results in situations where Detroiters literally die while waiting for emergency police and EMS services because the city frequently doesn't have enough manpower and/or equipment to respond in a timely manner.

^^^^ We agree! Again, if we do not have an appropriate locally controlled policing system we're going to end up with a state or federally mandated, tactical, few-or-no-questions-asked "tanks and machine" guns set up and for certain innocent people are gonna get caught up in that type of scene.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-22-12 at 09:11 AM.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    So you had no problem with white cops murdering innocent black men then eh? its either that, or you are a closet hood wearer, or you really cannot read...one of those three but I digress....
    I have a problem with the murder rate in Detroit and elsewhere. When young thugs [[or in this instance, a 35 year old adult) go out and put a gun in a young womans face and pulls the trigger without so much of a blink of an eye, that's just sick. I don't advocate anyone murdering innocent black men or women, but at least STRESS tried to keep the lid on the drug and murder problem in Detroit and now you can see the result of what shutting it down has done to the City...chaos.

Just look at what the perps family did yesterday in front of the courthouse. One member pulled a metal leg off a Ch. 4 cameraman's tripod and was going to "get her people" to take care of the young womans family. No police showed up because of manpower problems. Maybe STRESS should be brought out of mothballs and reimplemented....the murder rate may go down where blacks killing blacks are concerned and the City streets might be safe again.
    Last edited by Buy American; January-22-12 at 09:20 AM.

Perhaps reverend Sharpton and Jackson can come and initiate a rally or march of protest regarding this uptick in crime upon the innocent of Detroit?

Nope. That's not going to happen ------

They'd show up with the FEMA trucks after some federal mess jumps off!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-22-12 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    If the city is a shithole, and has no hope, what do we do about it?
    The question is what CAN we do about it, at least where the effort won't be wasted or where it won't trample over the constitutional right of Detroit citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Chicago has it's share of crime as well, you just don't hear about it. And it's 3 times the size of Detroit. Good luck.
    But on a per capita basis, crime in Chicago still occurs less than in Detroit.

And there are actually several areas in Chicago that have crime rates comparable to many of Detroit's suburbs.

I hear that... good points.
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    But on a per capita basis, crime in Chicago still occurs less than in Detroit.

And there are actually several areas in Chicago that have crime rates comparable to many of Detroit's suburbs.

Right! If things continue as they are a tipping point will be reached and constitutional rights will be thwarted for a pragmatic approach/ solution to deal with the escalating crime. WE DO NOT WANT THAT!
    The question is what CAN we do about it, at least where the effort won't be wasted or where it won't trample over the constitutional right of Detroit citizens?

Buy American Guest

Seems to me that most criminals have more constitutional rights than the law-abiding citizen. I'm tired of hearing that police/courts can't step on a thugs toes for fear of violating their rights...what about the rights of a law-abiding person to live in a city without fear of intimidation, robbery, rape, theft??? If the police got tougher and was able to do their jobs as they should, instead of being taught how to talk politely to a thug who is mf-ing their wife or mother, things would change in Detroit. I can't believe that Bing actually sent some public workers to classes, on overtime, to help them "interact" with the public. That's bull$hit! The law-abiding citizen will have no problem with a police officer or a firefighter or an EMS tech coming to help them....it's the thugs who are getting special treatment out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Seems to me that most criminals have more constitutional rights than the law-abiding citizen. I'm tired of hearing that police/courts can't step on a thugs toes for fear of violating their rights...what about the rights of a law-abiding person to live in a city without fear of intimidation, robbery, rape, theft??? If the police got tougher and was able to do their jobs as they should, instead of being taught how to talk politely to a thug who is mf-ing their wife or mother, things would change in Detroit. I can't believe that Bing actually sent some public workers to classes, on overtime, to help them "interact" with the public. That's bull$hit! The law-abiding citizen will have no problem with a police officer or a firefighter or an EMS tech coming to help them....it's the thugs who are getting special treatment out there.
    But the thing is not every one in Detroit is a "thug." While I'm sure Detroiters want the criminals to be taken care of, they also don't want to have to worry about the police enforcing these same nazi-style tactics on them for the smallest offense, or worse, a misconception.

What will you guys say when innocent lives are lost or violated by the draconian policing tactics you're proposing? Just another sad, unfortunate pawn lost in the battle to end crime?

On another video the tripod leg toting woman is shown tossing the bulk of the tripod into the street and hitting the front end of a police car. Hopefully they go after her.

That's extremely unlikely. Urban areas tend to have higher crime than suburban areas.

The only parts of Chicago that may have crime rates comparable to low crime suburbs are a few isolated fringes of the city that are indistinguishable from the suburbs. No different than Detroit or anywhere else, where you may have a few blocks west of Rouge Park with suburban like crime levels.

The urban parts of big cities, whether gentrified or ghetto, have elevated crime rates from the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    That's extremely unlikely. Urban areas tend to have higher crime than suburban areas.

The only parts of Chicago that may have crime rates comparable to low crime suburbs are a few isolated fringes of the city that are indistinguishable from the suburbs. No different than Detroit or anywhere else, where you may have a few blocks west of Rouge Park with suburban like crime levels.

The urban parts of big cities, whether gentrified or ghetto, have elevated crime rates from the suburbs.
    While I don't know the exact figures Hyde Park in which is not in the fringe part of Chicago has a fairly low crime rate.

Same goes for the University District, Palmer Woods part of Detroit.

Buy American Guest

But the thing is not every one in Detroit is a "thug." While I'm sure Detroiters want the criminals to be taken care of, they also don't want to have to worry about the police enforcing these same nazi-style tactics on them for the smallest offense, or worse, a misconception.

What will you guys say when innocent lives are lost or violated by the draconian policing tactics you're proposing? Just another sad, unfortunate pawn lost in the battle to end crime?
    I never said everyone in Detroit was a "thug". I am advocating for the law-abiding citizen who lives and works there. I lived in Detroit all my life and never had interactions with S.T.R.E.S.S. because I didn't break laws. The officers in that unit knew who to go after, where the high crime areas were and what they were doing. I know the reputation wasn't stellar at times, but I do know that the criminal element had fear of them. The unit was a detterent, not a detriment.

Innocent lives are being lost and violated right now because of the draconian laws that allow the thugs to have free reign throughout the city.

Ravine Guest

I realize that the STRESS unit, at least the concept and intention, had some merit.
    But, when I think of STRESS, you want to know what I think of?
    The Rolling Stones concert at Altamont, when they hired the Hell's Angels for security and paid them with beer.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    tee hee....
    Grrrrr... Why, I oughtta....

What people like UN American will say is something along lines of "Thank God they got rid of all those animals, I dont if some of the brown people were innocent as long as I feel safe!"

I was impressed by how fast they caught the perp [[if he IS the perp, innocent until proven guilty). And I'm not surprised by the increase in violent crime given the persistently bad economy.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    I was impressed by how fast they caught the perp [[if he IS the perp, innocent until proven guilty). And I'm not surprised by the increase in violent crime given the persistently bad economy.

Yeah but you can only use the bad economy as an excuse for so long before you have to start holding yourself accountable for your actions or inaction. Not everyone who has been unemployed has turned to crime and i can almost guarantee that these asshole who treating the D like the wild wild west, were not the most upstanding citizens to begin with...

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    What people like UN American will say is something along lines of "Thank God they got rid of all those animals, I dont if some of the brown people were innocent as long as I feel safe!"
    What is "UN" American is to continue this crime wave in Detroit. When citizens can't go outside their home, even in their own yards or driveways without being afraid of getting robbed or killed; when kids can't go to school without being afraid; when the elderly are prisoners in their own homes; that all sounds like a third world country to me. Detroiters need to retake their city and declare war against the thugs....and if that means getting tough and knocking a few heads together, so be it. The law-abiding citizen doesn't have to worry about rogue cops beating on them [[unless, of course, it's Eugene Brown, the black cop who shot about 6 people killing 3). Of all the "nazi style tactics" I've ever seen, it was Brown....and getting away with it.
    Last edited by Buy American; January-23-12 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Was that the folks that were so matter of fact [[his family) and broke a leg off a camera tripod... I am going to go check. I saw at bit of something on channel 7.
    The Channel 7 video of the confrontation engaged in by the alleged murderer's family outside of the courthouse provides a sad glimpse of the destructive tenacity of the lifecycling of the criminal underclass in our city. The accused, Jacob Welcome Wells, is no Boy Scout. Rather, he is a career criminal with five convictions in the last twelve years. The convictions include a firearms felony and a separate home invasion incident. [[Does anybody want to bet there aren't juvenile or Holmes Youth Trainee Act convictions?)

But the sad point is not Wells' lengthy rap sheet, but rather that this loser would have any supporters in his family. Would any DYes poster have anything to do with a family member whose life's work consists of five felony convictions? I doubt it. A family that is law abiding and cares about its children's future and its community would have jettisoned this guy long ago.

Yet this guy's family has his back at the arraignment and included some members so supportive that they were willing to throw down right outside of the courthouse in front of cameras. The behavior demonstrates that the accused comes from family obviously entrenched in criminal culture. The young woman who grabbed the camera tripod, quickly broke off the leg to make a weapon, and eagerly advanced toward the victim's family to whup some ass was clearly no stranger to causing violence. What are the chances that she has never had law enforcement contact? She learned her behavior from somewhere and someone who likely can't be described as law abiding either. And of course, sadly, given this context, what are the chances that she will raise children who will not continue the cycle.

The video was relatively brief, but it made a large statement about urban crime. It cycles through families and social networks that have no positive role models. Solutions to breaking this cycle are maddeningly elusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    What is "UN" American is to continue this crime wave in Detroit. When citizens can't go outside their home, even in their own yards or driveways without being afraid of getting robbed or killed; when kids can't go to school without being afraid; when the elderly are prisoners in their own homes; that all sounds like a third world country to me. Detroiters need to retake their city and declare war against the thugs....and if that means getting tough and knocking a few heads together, so be it. The law-abiding citizen doesn't have to worry about rogue cops beating on them [[unless, of course, it's Eugene Brown, the black cop who shot about 6 people killing 3). Of all the "nazi style tactics" I've ever seen, it was Brown....and getting away with it.
    Do you watch the news?

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Do you watch the news?

He selectively watches the news.....he has a preference for the Fox News Channel variety...

Buy American Guest

Stick your heads in the sand and ignore the obvious, it doesn't make a difference to me except if the overflow spills into my neighborhood, and I am prepared as is our police department. As much as I want to see Detroit grow and prosper, some will continue to make excuses for the criminals, criticize others for their opinions or observations, and let the criminals [[including the ones in the CAY building) run Detroit. Good luck with that!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast