Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012011...text|FRONTPAGE

As foreign film goers, my friends and I are devastated by this news. Sure Main Art in Royal Oak will be here, but it was nice to have two theatres that showed foreign/indie movies so we could have more options and more films could be shown. This is going to be a great loss for the area.

...and I just saw The Artist there on Monday...

... only problem is that the 11/Main developers have control of the Main Art building and property, and have designs for a twin-ish apartment or condo tower on that corner when the market picks up. The development as approved had a third tower on the footprint of the E-magine theater/bowling complex that they ditched also due to market factors. There were to be three buildings... lofts, condos, and apartments. :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    ... only problem is that the 11/Main developers have control of the Main Art building and property, and have designs for a twin-ish apartment or condo tower on that corner when the market picks up. [[
    Considering the massive and ever-increasing glut of downtown RO condos, I doubt we'll see new condo towers soon, if ever.

That whole RO condo boom didn't make sense when it happened. I don't think developers will even think about new construction for a long time.

This theater is quite a hike from my house on the east side but I've long been a fan of it nonetheless. They show some of the films you just cant see anywhere else.

I do have to complain about my last experience there, however. I went to see Midnight in Paris last year, shortly after it came out, and many of the older members of the audience talked through the whole film.

"I think that's Salvadore Dali," they would whisper loudly to one another. "Well, then, who is that guy?" their spouse would respond.

I wish there was a Landmark downtown.