Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
I remember a few years back, I checked rates for hamtramck and b'ham. Hamtramck was, literally, 400% more -- WITH NO COMPREHENSIVE or COLLISION
My favorite Detroit insurance story:

My friend worked downtown for a few years. He was driving up Woodward on his way home [[near the Fox I believe) and when he came to a red light, the guy behind him didn't stop - plowed into the back of his car, pushing him into the car in front of him. When he got out, neither the driver in front or behind wanted him to take down their information - but a cop showed up pretty quick to check things out. The guy in front of him had a bench warrant, the guy who hit him didn't have a driver's license, insurance or current registration. The cop was nice enough to write out a long, detailed report to send in to his insurance agency.

His insurance rates didn't go up - he already paid more because he works in Detroit, but he had to eat the deductible since the mini-tort went nowhere.

I have multiple stories involving accidents in Detroit where the other drivers didn't have insurance, fled the scene, etc...