While we all miss Tiger Stadium but let's face it attendance was a joke the last 10 years of the park and nobody came from the suburbs much less visiting cities to stay downtown for the weekend and enjoy themselves.
As for Comerica, in many ways it resembles a neighborhood park far more than Tiger Stadium, which was a monstrosity from the outside. Even Trammell said he couldn't believe that big white warehouse was a ballpark the first time he saw it. As for the carnival rides, if it gets a few more little kids away from their video games and into a ballpark, maybe they'll grow up to become baseball fans. You certainly don't have to go anywhere near the rides if you don't want to. As for gouging the fans, you can still go to a ballgame for far less than other major sports and the Tigers offer some great week day prices.
I enjoy getting out of my seat and walking all the way around the park chatting with fans during a game instead of being shoehorned into my Tiger Stadium seat. Just be glad you're not in Rogers Centre in Toronto. Big, ugly concrete dome that's closed most of the year. Built with 400 million taxpayer dollars and turned over to the current team owners for 25 million! Okay, the Labatt's Blue is better, but it is 10 bucks a cup. Mike Ilitch may not be the perfect team owner, but you sure as hell could do a lot worse.