What's going on lately with Detroit's plan to demolish some 10,000 abandoned structures over the span of a few years? I read some articles about this a few years back but haven't seen much about it since then [[not living in Detroit or michigan myself).

I can understand the logic behind tearing down abandoned buildings and the desire to shrink the city into a more compact core that can be more efficiently managed. But, how does demolishing empty buildings do anything to shrink the city if there are some people left behind in neighboring properties? Are there actual plans to move residents from emptying areas into other neighborhoods that are intended to be saved? Do people think that Bing's plans will result in a more compact, functioning city?

I personally like the idea of consolidating the city into a more compact and functioning core, but I don't see how as a practical matter you get people to move from their current areas to what will be the nucleus of a restored city. That doesn't seem like a task the city govt is funded or competent to do, and even if it could I imagine the process could take decades.