Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

LOL! Here we go with the left 'only' believes/ behaves one way - the right 'only' thus-and-so-forth rubric. Nope, there's shifts between the two; sharing of prejudices and preferences.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    And the right only believes in freedom when it comes to white protestant males, so what's your point, Dexter?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-11-11 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    According to today's paper, the mayor of Troy is pulling down $135.00 a month. One could say, you get what you pay for, or you could say she is overpaid, or you could say the largest city in Michigan to have a volunteer fire department has a long-standing love affair with being a tad cheap.

In any regard, Ms. Bighair is not long for her office. A foot that big has a tendency to repeatedly find itself in one's mouth. We can look forward to more great comments on any number of issues.

I find it refreshing to learn that not every stupid politico is named JoAnn Watson.
    Big difference, JoAnn plays to her base. They love her even if suburbanites don't. This Troy lady, she may not be long for this office.

So many people, searching the internet forums and blogs hoping to find something to be offended about.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Big difference, JoAnn plays to her base. They love her even if suburbanites don't. This Troy lady, she may not be long for this office.
    We'll see during the next election I suppose.

REmind you, they voted her in the first time during darn well she had these extreme views, so it wuoldn't suprise me if they vote her in again.

Or conversely to support and endorse their world view or ideas! Hah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Signman View Post
    So many people, searching the internet forums and blogs hoping to find something to be offended about.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    We'll see during the next election I suppose.

REmind you, they voted her in the first time during darn well she had these extreme views, so it wuoldn't suprise me if they vote her in again.
    She wasn't voted in because of her extreme views so much as the last mayor was voted out over the library kerfuffle. I doubt she'll be recalled, but I doubt she would win re-election.

Former Troy mayor Louise Schilling didn't run because she was term-limited. City Council member Robin Beltramini was running against Janice Daniels. I don't think everyone realized how extreme Daniels' views are and the people of Troy are realizing that they might have made a mistake. It wouldn't surprise me if she has to leave office before her term is up.

Quote Originally Posted by lgc22 View Post
    Former Troy mayor Louise Schilling didn't run because she was term-limited. City Council member Robin Beltramini was running against Janice Daniels. I don't think everyone realized how extreme Daniels' views are and the people of Troy are realizing that they might have made a mistake. It wouldn't surprise me if she has to leave office before her term is up.

The people of Troy should have raised a red flag in the beginning knowing the woman is a Tea party activist.

Default Hypocrites’ attack the mayor

I won’t travel to any states that are anti-marriage, likeNew York. Marriage is between a man and a woman because every child needs amother and a father. Like the mayor, I got rid of the New York souvenir shirt afriend gave me.

If you're going to post stupid shit like this, get a different moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    I won’t travel to any states that are anti-marriage, likeNew York. Marriage is between a man and a woman because every child needs amother and a father. Like the mayor, I got rid of the New York souvenir shirt afriend gave me.
    So, for consistency's sake, you won't visit any state with no-fault divorce laws?

Indeed gay marriage is serious wedge issue with strong feelings/ commitments on either side.
    Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    So, for consistency's sake, you won't visit any state with no-fault divorce laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    And the right only believes in freedom when it comes to white protestant males, so what's your point, Dexter?
    You forgot to add "heterosexual" to that list. Polls have consistently shown that an overwhelming majority of self-identified conservatives and Republicans oppose equal rights for gays.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    You forgot to add "heterosexual" to that list. Polls have consistently shown that an overwhelming majority of self-identified conservatives and Republicans oppose equal rights for gays.
    Yup, it's strange that all these freedom-loving people are so very selective about who should be free to make personal decisions that only effect them.

These are the same people the foam at the mouth wanting Christmas displays in schools and City Halls.

And a number of folks foaming to have all Christmas images or references removed. Just saying.... There's a great deal of angst on 'both' sides........
    Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Yup, it's strange that all these freedom-loving people are so very selective about who should be free to make personal decisions that only effect them.

These are the same people the foam at the mouth wanting Christmas displays in schools and City Halls.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And a number of folks foaming to have all Christmas images or references removed. Just saying.... There's a great deal of angst on 'both' sides........
    No. No, there aren't. Nobody is doing that. You made that up. This post is full of bullshit false equivalency, just like 99% of what you post on this forum. Please stop doing this. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    No. No, there aren't. Nobody is doing that. You made that up. This post is full of bullshit false equivalency, just like 99% of what you post on this forum. Please stop doing this. Thanks!
    Nobody? Out of millions of people in the US and billions worldwide, nobody is foaming to remove Christmas images ...

That is comforting to know. So often I get all confuzzeled with the the Right always doing this or the Left always doing that; but it is insights like yours I find so comforting... well at least 99% of the time.

Thank you. You've made everyone smarter this morning. Especially Zacha. I'm sure she is a much better person now.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

See, Zacha, herein lies your problem. It is impossible for some folks to accept the fact that people who might identify themselves in some sort of "conservative" way [[i.e., celebrating Christmas) could ACTUALLY not hate everyone who doesn't look, act, walk and talk like them, support Rush Limbaugh, drive a pick up with a Confederate flag proudly displayed, and make a million dollars a year without paying a dime of taxes.

It is also impossible for some folks to accept that people who might identify themselves as "liberal" might work and pay taxes, and not exactly be crying over every homeless person on the street, may not blindly follow Obama, don't suck down lattes and support the Occupy Wall Street Movement, and only bathe every three weeks [[Ironically, a characteristic that both sides accuse the other of).

It is impossible for some folks to accept the fact that someone may be socially liberal, fiscally conservative, practice their religion without interfering with others and DARE to suggest that they don't see everything in black or white. So, let folks call you names because you don't take an "all or nothing" approach to your opinions. I, for one, appreciate the fact that when the Usual Suspects start blaming one side or the other for EVERY problem, as if their side is any different, you call it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    So, let folks call you names because you don't take an "all or nothing" approach to your opinions.
    I didn't call her any names.
    I, for one, appreciate the fact that when the Usual Suspects start blaming one side or the other for EVERY problem, as if their side is any different, you call it out.
    Responding to every single point anybody makes with "yeah, there's a lot of that On Both Sides" doesn't contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way. She's not calling anybody out, she's just copy-pasting the same nugget of wisdom into every thread regardless of whether it makes any sense at all in context. I have no problem with people having moderate or centrist opinions if that's what they genuinely believe, but centrism in itself isn't a virtue, and centrists should have to defend their views just like everybody else.

^^^^Umm, indeed opinions vary. I [[she) am not copying and pasting as you call it. And my comments are in context. This is a wedge issue and there are multiple sides/ layers to the issue.

Even layers relative to ones perspective on homosexuality and in some cases more reservation or conviction regarding the broader social issue of gay marriage. I weighed in at a short statement level, which captures the broader perspective of the argument.

And yes, the 'centrist' view does requires backing, content and context - though I think it can have an advantage of not being too aligned to either extreme.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-12-11 at 08:21 PM.

Stop doing what? Adding a comment to an open forum? Hah! I'll ask that you not stop asking me to stop in the spirit of open communication. No one is cursing anyone out or making threats! LOL! And I've observed the 'curse-outs' that occur on this site sometimes and well we're not engaging in that, and if it goes that way I'll not participate.

Back to your broader comments: I detest social equivalency if that is what you mean, though I was being a bit tongue-and-cheek only to show that there's angst about on several issues not just this one. Tolerance is often specific to what ones position and agenda is. The right and the left are guilty of that.

And for sure every Christmas there are some desiring and in some case demanding all 'religious' references be removed from Christmas. The news coverage starts about this time every year so I MADE NOTHING UP.

A search of this site alone [[not too mention a google search) may turn up news stories on that from previous Christmas seasons. Again I'd not make up something so easy to verify.

I'll take your comment that "Nobody is doing that" tongue and cheek. Me? I cannot speak for everyone! And I never used the absoute term of "Everybody"....
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-12-11 at 12:34 PM.

Yes, I agree with your first paragraph specifically. But I see the 'problem' and have made references to it! In part its the boxes [[left vs right) that are full of holes as I often state here. And believe it or not, I probably ascribe myself as more liberal than you think, for certain I am not a republican, but I like to peek out of the boxes from time to time.

Regarding name calling, I've not heard any towards me. If it occurs I can keep that in perspective too. I was an art major and got my share of being called a kook-bohemian, then a right-winger 'cause I dare question my supposed default allegiance to the democratic party, when I could not follow it around every corner.

You've got to have a thick skin I suppose and keep in mind what matters most. I sorta function as an independent [[politically and socially). And as I stated before gay marraige is if nothing else, is a wedge issue and there will be dissent and support from the 'unusual' suspects.
    See, Zacha, herein lies your problem. It is impossible for some folks to accept the fact that people who might identify themselves in some sort of "conservative" way [[i.e., celebrating Christmas) could ACTUALLY not hate everyone who doesn't look, act, walk and talk like them, support Rush Limbaugh, drive a pick up with a Confederate flag proudly displayed, and make a million dollars a year without paying a dime of taxes.

It is also impossible for some folks to accept that people who might identify themselves as "liberal" might work and pay taxes, and not exactly be crying over every homeless person on the street, may not blindly follow Obama, don't suck down lattes and support the Occupy Wall Street Movement, and only bathe every three weeks [[Ironically, a characteristic that both sides accuse the other of).

It is impossible for some folks to accept the fact that someone may be socially liberal, fiscally conservative, practice their religion without interfering with others and DARE to suggest that they don't see everything in black or white. So, let folks call you names because you don't take an "all or nothing" approach to your opinions. I, for one, appreciate the fact that when the Usual Suspects start blaming one side or the other for EVERY problem, as if their side is any different, you call it out.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-12-11 at 12:20 PM.

bartock Guest

I didn't call her any names.

Responding to every single point anybody makes with "yeah, there's a lot of that On Both Sides" doesn't contribute to the discussion in any meaningful way. She's not calling anybody out, she's just copy-pasting the same nugget of wisdom into every thread regardless of whether it makes any sense at all in context. I have no problem with people having moderate or centrist opinions if that's what they genuinely believe, but centrism in itself isn't a virtue, and centrists should have to defend their views just like everybody else.
    Sounds fair enough, but I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

LOL! Hah! I'ma big girl - I can take it.... it's all good. Spending more time here lately as I am not working full time during the day right now. I love the DYes community even when we spar! I'll recede back a bit once my employment situation changes - soon I hope!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Nobody? Out of millions of people in the US and billions worldwide, nobody is foaming to remove Christmas images ...

That is comforting to know. So often I get all confuzzeled with the the Right always doing this or the Left always doing that; but it is insights like yours I find so comforting... well at least 99% of the time.

Thank you. You've made everyone smarter this morning. Especially Zacha. I'm sure she is a much better person now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast