Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
It's not just residents that are against Detroit Works, but also most of the vacant land the city is trying to shut off is owned by private interest groups.

Thre are legal aspects that must be consider before we can just throw people out of their homes and force them to move where they don't want to.

As for Lansing, not only would they have to pay for JUST moving the people [[which is expensive in itself, because the only way eminent domain works is if the government entity offers the owner of the property a reasonable lump sum of money), Lansing will also have to pay for removing all of the infrastructure and re-routing it, which costs should run into billions. I doubt the far right legislators [[who also tend to be short-term thinking) will go for that. It'll be much easier for them to just bring in a EFM, allow the rest of teh city outside of downtown/midtown to populate when the hammer crashes down and then close off the borders.

It's still DOA.
Yes, its expensive, but the alternative of paying the ongoing costs of keeping the city afloat is also expensive. So yes, its DOA. And so is the city. So I think the plan matches the gravity of the situation. I quite like seeing someone making bold proposals for a chance. Recommending investment. Planning your future. Not just letting it happen. Its what good leaders do. Playing into the politically possible is for wimps.