I just found this thread and I find it very sad. I am from Finland and I would LOVE to be in Zeyrek's shoes. Being a history and automotive buff the Detroit area is maybe the number one place in the world I'd like to live in.

I am a bit confused about the OP:s expectations. I can understand that he likes for everything to be within a short distance but it will not happen in the US almost no matter where you are. The US has always been much wealthier than Europe and since most people have been able to afford their own house the cities have grown much bigger. Another reason is of course the cheap automobiles and gas that haven't been taxed to death by evil politicians like in Europe. So, riding a bike to work and everything else being in walking distance is not very likely to happen.

Then there is of course the Detroit dilemma that is a thing in itself. From the OP:s postings I doubt that anything within Detroit would suit him. But Detroit has an excellent freeway system and it is not bad to commute to work from the suburbs. And there are so many beautiful areas around Detroit that make Sweden look like a poorhouse. In fact, in my eyes Scandinavia and Finland are like the third world comparing to the US. I guess it depends how you look at things.

What I want to say ,Zeyrek, is that I think you are throwing a fantastic opportunity away. You should rethink, travel to Detroit and see for yourself. I am surprised you haven't done it. I spent some time in Detroit this summer and if I could find a way to move over I'd do it right away. But I wouldn't live inside the city limits. That's just my view. If you want to speak about Detroit and my feelings about it we can even talk over the phone if you like. Just send me a message. You shouldn't let this chance pass you by.

And read Johannes Spreens book "Who Killed Detroit?". It gives you some insight to what happened during a long period of time.

BTW, a friend of mine is going to Flint to study next year, he is all gung ho about it. And Flint isn't exactly kindergarden either...