The trash comes from the suburbs, and from Canada, as well as Detroit. The incinerator must be filled to capacity to burn anything and even at peak population, Detroit's trash alone could not fill it every time. I recall a controversy several years back where Toronto was sending us curbside "recycling" to burn. Mmmm, the taste of Canadian plastic on a Sunday morning!

After Bing was elected and renewed the contract/ negotiated a new operator for the place, it was re-branded as a "green" energy provider. Unfortunately, it is both the largest incinerator in the country AND the only one in a DOWNTOWN area. Let's be honest, this thing is practically at I-75 and Warren. Asthma rates of those who live on the near East Side are high because of the incinerator.

Wasting brownfield credits on an existing, polluting eyesore would be considered an incompetent decision in any city with real ambitions. Brownfield funds are one of the only ways to actually fund new development and historical renovations in a rust belt city, why would we waste $4 million on this?

Does anyone know of recent efforts to shut it down? The last time I went to a meeting about this was in 2008. I'd love to know if anyone is actively picketing or doing stuff behind the scenes to get some clean air...you'd think the city would want "Midtown" not to smell like rotting fish 4 days a week...