Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Well, depends. Authorities can be notoriously undemocratic. Moses was an authoritarian type who loved freeways and hated trains. He had plans to bisect and trisect Manhattan with freeways, destroying "slums" like SoHo. Finally, New Yorkers took his plans for what they were: madness.

For an excellent overview of Moses' career, read "The Power Broker" by Robert Caro. It's all in there...
    I've read it. Dammed thick book! I've always been one to question when only given one side of the story.

The Power Borker is one man's take on Robert Moses. Caro released the book after Moses' death so there was really no way the man could defend himself. I am not saying I agree with everything he did, but he did accomplish an incredible amount of work. Robert Moses had charge of the Statewide Highway, Park, and Housing commissions. He had no ties to transit. He started out as a guy who wanted to work on Roosevelt's new deal and WPA and ended up in charge of a huge chunk of NYS government.

Moses was a guy who showed us what government can do, right or wrong. He is the reason why we have environmental impact statements and public involvement. We have those so that govt can't steamroll us. As a bonus it keeps people like me employed and reminding folks we need to look at all modes for upgrading transit. I am not saying that because I am a party pooper, I am saying that because thats what NEPA requires.

We've strayed a bit here, so to bring it back, many of the New York roads are tolled. In Michigan we only have tolled bridges.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-09-11 at 12:07 PM.