Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Oaza has been closed for several years now. If the little bakeries are feeling the squeeze, imagine how Oaza felt it. The increasingly Middle Eastern and South Asian residents of Hamtramck usually go for flat breads.
    I guess that you may as well look for another place to buy pastries, breads and cakes of the Polish variety. The demographic will continue to change, and probably within 5 years all of Hamtramck's meat shops and bakeries will have become decidedly non-Polish , for lack of a better descriptor.

Add to that the myriad bars which are hanging on by a thread, and Hamtramck becomes a completely different city, which has been happening since Hamtramck was invented. The Poles and other Slavs had a nice run, but now it is someone else's turn in Hamtown. Or should I say Halaltramck?

So based on a couple of post on this thread I take it that the Hamtramck bar scene isn't what it use to be? Is it the changing demographics or have the people who use to go Hamtramck bars moved on to some place else?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    So based on a couple of post on this thread I take it that the Hamtramck bar scene isn't what it use to be? Is it the changing demographics or have the people who use to go Hamtramck bars moved on to some place else?
    A lot of the regulars still frequent the area. What I've notices is that a lot of people that used to reside in Hamtown that were regulars have moved to inner-ring suburbs and just don't come down as much. I think it's affecting all of the businesses in the area. The Belmont is now a sports bar. Ugh.

Sad to see this place go. I remember it, and many of the other Polish bakeries, butchers, etc. from the old days. The last few times I was in there though it lookied like it was holding on by a thread, so I'm not all that surprised.

As the remaining Polish population ages out or moves away it is going to become increasingly difficult for the remaining Polish businesses to hang on, and unlike, say, Greek or Italian businesses, they really haven't done much over the years to appeal to outsiders, so they really can't hope to generate much new business from other sources either.

On the other hand, there's an increasing amount of delicious Bengali, Yemeni, and other new food available in Hamtown. I spied a place the other day that I believe to be run by Bosnians, or folks from some other nearby country. I'm planning to stop in very soon [[they have cevapi!!). So, as with all things, Hamtramck has changed. But it sure looks like better, more stable and hopeful, change that what has happened in the city that [[nearly) surrounds it.

This is such sad news to me.I've shopped at New Deluxe over the years and hate to see such a fantastic place closing.They have wonderful breads&pastries and great service too.
    I just called[[hoping the news wasn't true)and the young woman on the phone told me the owner isn't well.That and other reasons made them decide to close.
    I wish the owners&staff all the best in future and thank them for all the wonderful years of great service.
    New Deluxe we'll miss you!!!