Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I think that they have a fair point whether Guyton is involved in it or not. Just because a local guy supports them doesn't make their opinion about what is being done in their neighborhood any less real or valid.
    Yeah, I suppose they should have spoke up when Tyree started his shit down on Heidelberg. Or when tagging and grafitti became the communication medium of their neighborhood. Or even when there were houses and businesses around there. Yep, a little late to bitch now, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Yeah, I suppose they should have spoke up when Tyree started his shit down on Heidelberg. Or when tagging and grafitti became the communication medium of their neighborhood. Or even when there were houses and businesses around there. Yep, a little late to bitch now, I think.
    Maybe they did and the media just didn't give a rats ass until some white people from New York decided to come join the party.

I came to the conclusion by looking at the associated pictures with commentary that specifically lists Walled Lake and Lake Orion as the place of residence for the people in the pictures.

You are correct about the artists being from out of town but the helpers photographed are certainly from the suburbs [[ as well as one couple from Detroit).
    You can tell that the guy pictured with the disheveled hair isn't from here [[well he could be from Ann Arbor...) but I'm not even sure he's from the same planet.... unless he's Dutch.... lol...

American's and especially Detroiter's don't smile in such a daft way....
    Last edited by Gistok; September-19-11 at 04:07 PM.

Are you implying people didn't speak up about Tyree's shit down on Heidelberg or about tagging? Nice to see your head fits so cleanly in the sand. If you think those things have and continue to happen without any push back from people in the company then I don't think there is much hope for discussing it with you.

It sounds like you are one of the many fools out there that also think the residents and police should ignore the little crimes since there is a significant number of shootings.

I guess people lose the ability to stick up for their neighborhood if they haven't complained about or fought against every other fucked up thing in every other neighborhood in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Maybe they did and the media just didn't give a rats ass until some white people from New York decided to come join the party.
    Nope, Vox is 100% certain that every citizen of Detroit supports 100% of the things that happen in the city.

I think the prayer flags are a neat idea. I love prayer flags. But this installation does look like a used tire lot, it doesn't work for me. Now if they wanted to board up the windows, paint artwork on the boards and add prayer flags so they look like communication rather than an advertisement for something, and either arrange the tires in an artful design that looks like it belongs at a home or get rid of them, I am all for it.

Wow, talk about spot-on, especially #18 Awareness. Though to be fair, these are really Stuff Liberal White People Like.

As far as the art project [[tires and rags), if the artists don't own the property then why don't the neighbors just go over there and dismantle it all? If someone put some craptastic eyesore on a vacant lot on my street it'd be gone in 24 hours.
    MSUguy

Join DateJul 2009Posts119

C'mon I can't be the only one who thought of this book with those pictures

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/full...e-people-like/

#18 Awareness

interesting fact about white people is that they firmly believe that all of the world’s problems can be solved through “awareness.” Meaning the process of making other people aware of problems, and then magically someone else like the government will fix it.
    This belief allows them to feel that sweet self-satisfaction without actually having to solve anything or face any difficult challenges. Because, the only challenge of raising awareness is people not being aware. In a worst case scenario, if you fail someone doesn’t know about the problem. End of story.
    What makes this even more appealing for white people is that you can raise “awareness” through expensive dinners, parties, marathons, selling t-shirts, fashion shows, concerts, eating at restaurants and bracelets. In other words, white people just have to keep doing stuff they like, EXCEPT now they can feel better about making a difference.
    Raising awareness is also awesome because once you raise awareness to an acceptable, aribtrary level, you can just back off and say “Bam! did my part. Now it’s your turn. Fix it.”
    So to summarize – you get all the benefits of helping [[self satisfaction, telling other people) but no need for difficult decisions or the ensuing criticism [[how do you criticize awareness?). Once again, white people find a way to score that sweet double victory.
    Popular things to be aware of: The Environment, Diseases like Cancer and AIDS, Africa, Poverty, Anorexia, Homophobia, Midde School Field Hockey/Lacrosse teams, Drug Rehab, and political prisoners.

#62 Knowing what’s best for poor people

White people spend a lot of time of worrying about poor people. It takes up a pretty significant portion of their day.

They feel guilty and sad that poor people shop at Wal*Mart instead of Whole Foods, that they vote Republican instead of Democratic, that they go to Community College/get a job instead of studying art at a University.

It is a poorly guarded secret that, deep down, white people believe if given money and education that all poor people would be EXACTLY like them. In fact, the only reason that poor people make the choices they do is because they have not been given the means to make the right choices and care about the right things.

A great way to make white people feel good is to tell them about situations where poor people changed how they were doing things because they were given the ‘whiter’ option. “Back in my old town, people used to shop at Wal*Mart and then this non-profit organization came in and set up a special farmers co-op so that we could buy more local produce, and within two weeks the Wal*Mart shut down and we elected our first Democratic representative in 40 years.” White people will first ask which non-profit and are they hiring? After that, they will be filled with euphoria and will invite you to more parties to tell this story to their friends, so that they can feel great.

But it is ESSENTIAL that you reassert that poor people do not make decisions based on free will. That news could crush white people and their hope for the future.

Last edited by MSUguy; Today at 04:42 PM. Reason: I lack the ability to proofread

Vox Guest

Are you implying people didn't speak up about Tyree's shit down on Heidelberg or about tagging? Nice to see your head fits so cleanly in the sand. If you think those things have and continue to happen without any push back from people in the company then I don't think there is much hope for discussing it with you.

It sounds like you are one of the many fools out there that also think the residents and police should ignore the little crimes since there is a significant number of shootings.

I guess people lose the ability to stick up for their neighborhood if they haven't complained about or fought against every other fucked up thing in every other neighborhood in the city.
    Not loudly enough I guess. And the tagging and grafitti started out by the residents of the neighborhood din't help matters either. Now all of this has been co-opted by hipsters and doofus Eurotrash. And the left over people want to complain.

I believe that you are wrong about your perception of my acceptance of crime in the neighborhood. I guess that you would have to ask the COD blight department first, then ask the DPD why they aren't foccused on crime in general, say back in 1976 to 81 or so.

And the above post by Det_ard is spot on. What the hell stops the residents from proactively taking this shit down? It's all a feeling of helplessness. Victimhood. He's right, if it were in my neighborhood, it would be gone ASAP.
    Last edited by Vox; September-19-11 at 04:43 PM.

Not loudly enough I guess. And the tagging and grafitti started out by the residents of the neighborhood din't help matters either. Now all of this has been co-opted by hipsters and doofus Eurotrash. And the left over people want to complain.
    So now it is that they didn't complain loudly enough. Add in that some, likely a small number, of residents tagged building so no residents should have a voice to complain about people trashing their neighborhood in the name of 'art'. I guess this same argument could be made that well, if someone in your neighborhood gets raped or murdered and you don't complain loudly enough then you also deserve to get raped or murdered. Completely ignorant logic.

I believe that you are wrong about your perception of my acceptance of crime in the neighborhood. I guess that you would have to ask the COD blight department first, then ask the DPD why they aren't foccused on crime in general, say back in 1976 to 81 or so.
    Since the people aren't getting proper services from PD or CoD then they deserve to be shit on by these artists? Maybe they just didn't complain loud enough. How loud or often does a neighborhood have to complain to still have a voice in their neighborhood. Since crime is high in some neighbohoods should we just accept it and explain to the residents that they should be victims because they clearly have not complained loud enough or often enough.

Completely idiotic argument on your part.

Vox Guest

So now it is that they didn't complain loudly enough. Add in that some, likely a small number, of residents tagged building so no residents should have a voice to complain about people trashing their neighborhood in the name of 'art'. I guess this same argument could be made that well, if someone in your neighborhood gets raped or murdered and you don't complain loudly enough then you also deserve to get raped or murdered. Completely ignorant logic.
    Well if they actually jailed Tyree, or denounced him, maybe I would say that
    they did all they could. Or stopped their kids from defacing their own
    neighborhood, But, they didn't. Big difference in what would happen in my
    neighborhood and theirs, too. I WILL call the police. I guess that strategy that
    has been employed on the eastside works real well.

Since the people aren't getting proper services from PD or CoD then they
    deserve to be shit on by these artists? Maybe they just didn't complain loud
    enough. How loud or often does a neighborhood have to complain to still
    have a voice in their neighborhood. Since crime is high in some neighbohoods
    should we just accept it and explain to the residents that they should be
    victims because they clearly have not complained loud enough or often
    enough.

Completely idiotic argument on your part

Dear idiotic jt1 [[your words, not mine) That time has passed, if you haven't noticed. Read my post. It is the practices that the own residents employed that got them in this spot. Now they complain when white d-bags come in and plant a few flags? Fucking please. That horse has left the barn.
    Last edited by Vox; September-19-11 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Wow, talk about spot-on, especially #18 Awareness. Though to be fair, these are really Stuff Liberal White People Like.
    Don't forget #34 Architecture. That too is spot on... although they probalby missed "Historic Preservation" and "Tree Hugging".

Notice what is not on the "liberal" list....

1) Fox News
    2) WWF Smackdown
    3) Nascar Racing
    4) Freedom Fries
    5)Tractor Pulls

Well if they actually jailed Tyree, or denounced him, maybe I would sat that
    neighborhood and theirs, too. I WILL call the police. I guess that strategy that
    So these people in this neighborhood are also responsible for the actions at the Heidelberg project about a mile away? What radius must people defend to still have a voice in their neighborhood? You also, make the assumption that there wasn't people speaking out and fighting against the Heidelberg project.

You also go on to make a couple of flawed assumptions [[1) that people didn't call the police when they saw vandals/taggers. What do you recommend people do when they call the police and they don't show up? Should they confront the punk kids. I'm sure in your neighborhood where people shit rainbows that it would be a scene right from a 1950s movie. You also assume that people did nothing to defend their neighborhood. Although the area is beat down it doesn't mean that people have done nothing.

Dear idiotic jt1 [[your words, not mine)
    I stated that your argument was idiotic, not you. There is a big difference but you are showing that you don't have the sense to differentiate between the two.

That time has passed, of you haven't noticed. Read my post. It is the practices that the own residents employed that got them in this spot. Now they complain when white d-bags come in and plant a few flags? Fucking please. That horse has left the barn.
    So, becuase some people in the neighborhood have caused issues and the neighborhood has fallen on hard times that everyone in the neighborhood, regardless of their efforts to improve should just be quiet and deal with anything that happens.

So it appears you agree with Bobby Knight; if you're going to get raped you might as well sit back and enjoy it. It really seems that you ignore that there are still a lot of people working to improve their neighborhoods and fighting for their bests interests, regardless how far the neighborhoods have fallen.

I guess where not all so lucky to live in Leave it Beaver land like yourself. Let's go get some guns and start killing people that live in rough areas. After all, according to your argument, they deserve it.

Well if they actually jailed Tyree, or denounced him, maybe I would say that
    The neighbors have complained publicly for years. Hell Archer had part of it demolished due to neighbor complaints about rats and other vermin.

This project has long had issues with it's neighbors.

1989: Detroit City Council awards Guyton the Spirit of Detroit Award, while protests by some neighbors opposed to the project gain traction.

1991: Responding to neighborhood complaints, Mayor Coleman Young orders three houses bulldozed.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110801/...#ixzz1YRIIJiDf

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110801/...#ixzz1YRIBee00
    Last edited by MSUguy; September-19-11 at 05:20 PM.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    The neighbors have complained publicly for years. Hell Arhcer has part of demolished parts of it due to neighbor complaints about rats and other vermin
    He's backed by big money, and code enforcement is non-existent in the city. If they wanted to, they could remove his crap once and for all, and rid the neighborhood of the rats and vermin once and for all. But, he's a pet of the white establishment, so hands off.

Vox Guest

So these people in this neighborhood are also responsible for the actions at the Heidelberg project about a mile away? What radius must people defend to still have a voice in their neighborhood? You also, make the assumption that there wasn't people speaking out and fighting against the Heidelberg project.

You also go on to make a couple of flawed assumptions [[1) that people didn't call the police when they saw vandals/taggers. What do you recommend people do when they call the police and they don't show up? Should they confront the punk kids. I'm sure in your neighborhood where people shit rainbows that it would be a scene right from a 1950s movie. You also assume that people did nothing to defend their neighborhood. Although the area is beat down it doesn't mean that people have done nothing.
    I understand that the world doesn't work as it should, most times. I also understand that the DPS sucks big time when it comes to shot like that. But I find it hard to rationalize that a culture of "no snitching" when it comes to the most violent and depraved acts, will be one to call the police on the arsonists, scrappers and taggers in the community. More likely a blind eye policy than anything else. Years upon years of disinterest gives you the East side as it is today.Nor will it change anytime soon.

I stated that your argument was idiotic, not you. There is a big difference but
    you are showing that you don't have the sense to differentiate between the two.
    Really? I don't have sense now... boy, you are sure full of attacks these days.

So, becuase some people in the neighborhood have caused issues and the
    neighborhood has fallen on hard times that everyone in the neighborhood,
    regardless of their efforts to improve should just be quiet and deal with
    anything that happens.

So it appears you agree with Bobby Knight; if
    you're going to get raped you might as well sit back and enjoy it. It really
    seems that you ignore that there are still a lot of people working to improve
    their neighborhoods and fighting for their bests interests, regardless how far
    the neighborhoods have fallen.

I guess where not all so lucky to live in
    Leave it Beaver land like yourself. Let's go get some guns and start killing
    people that live in rough areas. After all, according to your argument, they
    deserve it.
    No. I don't feel that way. I believe that they need to get fucking angry and DO something about these people, really, and NOW. Reading what people say about private property here or should I say the distinct LACK of respect for private property, gives me a sense of what needs to be done. If you were all fired up about this, instead of attacking me, you should be at City council with a petition and plan to stop this shit.

Did u guys see the adjacent shoe dump "art" on the news? No wonder these folks are pissed off.

In North Corktown, some folks decided to "improve" upon a vacant house that was blatantly visible from MLK. Needless to say, the neighbors were not amused:

Name:  SDC11214.JPG.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  40.8 KB.Name:  SDC11213.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  42.0 KB

The house was promply burned to the ground. Problem solved.

My advice to anyone attempting to erect "art" in people's neighborhoods: Get community buy-in. Lots of it. Cuz If you don't, all you're gonna end up with is burnt up community politics.

White people!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^

Ravine Guest

Quote from the Detroit News article:
    "Alex White Mazzarella, the co-founder of Artefacting, said his project is aimed at calling attention to Detroit's social and economic problems."

"Our efforts are to use art to engage social issues," said White Mazzarella. "For us, this is a platform for the community."

Yeah yeah. Sure thing, buckaroo.
    I don't see any social issues being engaged, and I think the last sentence of that quote would be more truthful if "for the community" was omitted.
    Detroit's "social and economic problems" call plenty of attention to themselves without some Band of Cheez-Whiz Faux-Art Gypsys riding in from over the horizon to pile up some tires and drape a bunch of bullshit from an abandoned house.
    In any case, I do not see any intrinsic value in "calling attention" to things that are plainly obvious. I'm fairly certain that I have identified whereto the attention is truly meant to be called, and I'll be more than happy to attend to the sight of them packing up their grubby shit into their little hipsterrific vehicles and getting the fuck out of town.
    You wanna "engage?" Well, good, then. Buy the goddam house, fix it up, move into it, and keep it, and the property it's on, presentably decent.
    Otherwise, go buy some Spongebob coloring books and scram.
    But, if you really do want to engage some ill before you leave, make sure that you stop by the area where the incinerator is and take a few nice, deep breaths. We don't want you to leave without some memories.

bartock Guest

I'll defer to the neighborhood, for two main reasons:

1. They live there.

2. I haven't seen or read anything about people in the respective Detroit neighborhoods skeptical about the motives of the Blight Busters or the Mower Gang.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Did u guys see the adjacent shoe dump "art" on the news? No wonder these folks are pissed off.

In North Corktown, some folks decided to "improve" upon a vacant house that was blatantly visible from MLK. Needless to say, the neighbors were not amused:

Name:  SDC11214.JPG.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  40.8 KB.Name:  SDC11213.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  42.0 KB

The house was promply burned to the ground. Problem solved.

My advice to anyone attempting to erect "art" in people's neighborhoods: Get community buy-in. Lots of it. Cuz If you don't, all you're gonna end up with is burnt up community politics.
    I don't advocate arson, but that "art" is so condescending I want to puke.

I take it these artefacting guys were probably well intentioned, but this is really poor execution... very sad "art." And their explanation is total bullshit:

http://www.artefacting.com/blog/2011...cting-detroit/

an excerpt: "As strong words about the power of community and togetherness pour out, we start to brainstorm ideas of action that could help catalyze and manifest the collective voice and direction we so heard so clearly. Yet it is not our place, not our culture and not our history. And so we continue to listen, taking notes, processing and moving.
    Our list of volunteers is growing as we narrow down what we will catalyze, and our thinking evolves as we submerge deeper into the story that is today’s Detroit."

Sounds like they had the idea of "listening to the community" and "engaging," but their writing is so vague and meaningless it's clear they don't know what the hell they're doing.

It's unfortunate people like this give all white people a bad name.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by urbanhat View Post

It's unfortunate people like this give all white people a bad name.
    I agree. Next time I feel prejudice creeping in my head I will think of these awful people to remind myself that not all people of the same shade are somehow a cohesive unit. I am not like these people.

Anyway burning that schitt down seems fine to me.

Ravine Guest

I don't think they give all white people a bad name and I don't think they're really all that awful.
    I just think they are so full of shit that they don't even have any sense of how full of shit they are.
    Their Mission Statement reads like it was written by some 17-year-old girls who, having become bored with cheerleading, decided it would be neat to become, like, world citizens and, y'know, social activists 'n' stuff.
    I think it's fair to assume that they have no clue, at all, as to how offensive their approach is.
    A case of a true disconnect between the two sides: "We come, bearing the gift of our art project, to call attention to your bitter plight and social demise" doesn't sit well with "We live here."

What did we ever do to Tibet to deserve this?

Here are photos of the 'Artefacted' house with a nice long rant about "Dr. Guyton" as he insists upon being called after receiving an imaginary degree from CCS....a school which offers no such degree title. Dude didnt even go to school !!

The 'Artefacting' people from NYC are working under his guidance, and this house was one of "Dr." Guytons playthings long before 'Artefacting' showed up. Behind the house is where Dr. Tyree dumped all the shoes that he used for the installation in Brush Park [[where he has his studio).

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=5581

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast