An extremely great idea, and right here in the neighborhood too. Detroit really needs more things like this that make the city seem more open and less fortified. Gotta wonder about licensing issues for longer term operation though - Michigan is somewhat tougher than NY on these things. And I agree with bothers that September is kind of a tough time to open an outdoor venue in these parts [[although I guess this means they get to do an Octoberfest thing... I hope).

In any event, a welcome return to my eastside German-American beer garden-going ancestral roots. And, whether they know it or not, a return to the roots of the area around the entrance to Belle Isle which was a big entertainment, amusement park, and beer garden district before prohibition slowed down the party, and then the city finally tore it all down in 1927.

Speaking of local history, someone at Crain's need to do a little more research, or get some local history lessons from some old-timers, about the Tashmoo and Tashmoo Park.