Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
I have taken friends from England, France and Austria to the Fisher Building. They were amazed at the building. I often take visiting friends to the Fisher Building, the Guardian Building, if possible the Fox Theater. Detroit still has a good stock of impressive architecture: The Whitney, The Gem Theater, almost 30 historic churches in the downtown area, the Masonic Temple, the Book Cadillac, etc. But the Fisher Building is the greatest of all in my book.
Sadly... the Fisher was at its' best before 1960.... the Theatre Historical Society had this to say about the old Fisher Theatre...

"The old theatre was an impossibly wonderful Mayanesque style theatre. Mayanesque theatres were never in great supply, and on a truly grand scale, they numbered only one.... the Fisher."

While the new 2089 seat Fisher Theatre is made of quality materials... the 2,975 seat old Fisher Theatre was truly an amazing and exotic building in vermillion and gold.... with Banana trees in the [[then much larger 3 story) Grand Lobby.

When it was remodeled in 1960-61 to a 2/3 size... rather than just putting in a new shell inside the old theatre... they ripped out just about all of the ornate plasterwork... leaving only 1 single wall.... hidden from view.