correct nerd; easements remain in place so you can build no permanent structure in that area.

the term for this is called "vacating" an alley. i have never gone thru this process myself, but has clients who have. it is a fairly common request.

some things to keep in mind: you have to get written approval from all property owners adjacent to the alley you want to vacate. if one does not agree, then the alley stays open. if it affects other people besides adjacent property owners, you must get their written approval as well [[typically you cannot close one portion of an alley to create one, or two, dead end alleyways). if you do gain approval to close the alleyway you only receive half; the owner across from the alley receives the other half. however, you can always buy that portion from that owner.

i don't necessarily condone this, but i have known people to simply fence alleyways off if they are out of the way [[eg. a small side alleyway). if the neighbors don't mind, i know some people have gotten away with it without the city noticing. [this also depends, of course, on your location in the city and amount of attention your area gets.]