This summer I was stopped and hassled at the tunnel when I returned from Toronto . I was attending an MLS match between Chicago and Toronto, and, despite my attire, the Border Patrol didn't believe me. I declared the half-pack of cigarettes I had left from Canada, and after telling them my GF and I lived in the city of Detroit [[again, they didn't believe me ), they had us pull over to be searched. The initial guard was supposed to give us some sheet of paper to fill out, but he never did because they "ran out". So they just told us to wait inside the cramped office.

We sat for over 2 hours while they searched our car, with no help, no explanation, and no politeness to speak of . As we watched busloads of British tourists get their retinas scanned, we had no one give us any direction at all. People who arrived an hour after us got help before we did. This whole time, I was being told by passing officers to move my feet, not to talk, and not to put my hands in any pockets, even though they had already emptied them at the car.

Eventually some younger officer asked us why we were there, and I said "I have no idea". We were moved to another room where we were questioned for about 5 minutes, then allowed to leave with no explanation. Not even "this is a random search". They were still searching the car when we got back outside. I never got the paper form I was supposed to fill out, and the final officer told me it didn't matter.