Originally owned and operated by the Monnier family, Midfield, between Southfield and Grandmont was named Ray Monnier Rd. in the late 70's early 80's. It is once again called Midfield. My paper route was on Rutland from 79-84. I've been working on houses in that neighborhood since the early 90's.

Grandmont Hardware stayed the course pretty well up until 10 years ago, when their inventory went from having all sorts of hardware that reflected the age of the local housing stock to becoming unreliable at best. Then they got an attitude. I usually spent about 1000/yr there for a few years. After one guy cut some 1/2" gas pipe for me one day and butchered the threads, then wouldn't offer to recut it for me, I was done. Before that, they thought it proper to block the alley and fix a bunch of lawn-mowers back there, then yell at me as I tried to get out. When I answered back that the alley has been right of way for 80 years, the "white-boy" comments came out. [[ I got hit by a car coming out of that alley 25 years before then.)

The building also had a fire in it about 8 years ago. They have been clownin' ever since.