I'm happy for the Big Box stores and all of their success, but I don't care much for their algorithms. I mean, is that all we are, algorithms? It basically boils down to adding up the rich people in an area, then deciding whether there's enough to build a store.

What ever happened to businesses taking risks, earning your loyalty, and building up the community? This is what most independent stores do every day. That's why I shop at them. It's also why I respect Whole Foods, despite the subsidy given to the developer. If Detroit's Whole Foods store tanks, somebody at that company put their balls on the line. WF is taking a risk on Detroit, and for that reason I'll do what I can to prop them up.

Could Target make a bold move by coming to Detroit? Absolutely. They would definitely have my business and loyalty over all competitors. I don't know how you plug that into an algorithm, but I think that's the difference between good businesses and great businesses. People like to know you give a shit.