Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Dr. Emil Guest

There are programs that help kids get lunch in the summer months because if they aren't getting the free meal at school, they ain't eating. With that kind of abject poverty, only the most heartless bastards would have a problem with tax monies being used in that manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Emil View Post
    With that kind of abject poverty, only the most heartless bastards would have a problem with tax monies being used in that manner.
    This is where I disagree. Detroit, by global standards, has comparatively little "abject poverty". Spiritual poverty, yes. But, by relative economic standards, Detroit is a place that should be able to feed its children.

If it were a nation, Detroit would be a wealthy nation. It has three times the median household income of middle income countries like Brazil and Mexico.

About 80% of Detroit households have personal vehicles. About half of Detroit households are homeowners. Virtually 100% have television, phone and electricity, and in-home washers/dryers and dishwashers are the norm.

These are very rare things, even in middle income countries [[ok, not the phone, TV, or electricity, but yeah, everything else). Yet 90% of Detroit children receive free meals. I don't blame the kids, but I do blame the parents and our misplaced priorities.