Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

It says right in the article that if you get a Job for 20 hours per week or are a single mother than you do not loose benifits.

What the heck is 20 hours per week? Most classes are 3 days per week, so all they are asking these kids to work is 2.5 days per week to get benifits?

Its called getting a fricken job!

My brother pulled the same crap and tried to mooch off everyone while he went to school for 4 years with no job. Everytime we brought the subject up that he had no job, the excuse was that he was getting an education and wanted to have the time to study so he could do good in school.

Not so sure about my dad, but my mom actually bought that line of crap and let him get away with not working for 4 years
    Read and be enlightened! I have said a million times that I can not find a job to replace the one that I am about to lose. It is more difficult than you think. Sure, some people aren't even trying. But a lot of students are in my position and really can't find work to save their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    Read and be enlightened! I have said a million times that I can not find a job to replace the one that I am about to lose. It is more difficult than you think. Sure, some people aren't even trying. But a lot of students are in my position and really can't find work to save their lives.
    Would using Thames' idea and doing volunteer work, count toward the 20 hours?
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Would using Thames' idea and doing volunteer work, count toward the 20 hours?
    Good luck.
    I already do volunteer work.

Aside from that, volunteer work obviously doesnt qualify me for benefits because I am not paying taxes. It also does not pay my bills. So, why people suggest volunteering as a remedy to my solution confuses me.

I already do volunteer work.

Aside from that, volunteer work obviously doesnt qualify me for benefits because I am not paying taxes. It also does not pay my bills. So, why people suggest volunteering as a remedy to my solution confuses me.
    I think he suggested it because sometimes it leads to paid work.

A negative attitude towards EVERYTHING is NOT going to get you a job, friends, or a room at your Mothers. Volunteering is an excellent way to get in the door, unless you don't want to do anything when you get there.

My god man, change the attitude. Everything is about taking advantage of opportunity, not finding reasons NOT to do something.

Blah to the whiners - and no sympathy either. Geez..................

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Epiphany,
    As a fellow college student I feel for you 110%. College grads pre-1995 or so don't understand how tough it is today to pay for college. The jobs aren't plentiful, the pay is pitiful, and the workload from school just adds to longer nights and an exhausting 4 [[for some 5 or 6!) years. I'm a middle class kid whose parents don't make enough to send me to school and aren't poor enough to have me receive financial aid. That's how I'm stuck. I have one more year left and I'll be paying back loans for the rest of my life.
    Hi! New here.
    I am a late 80s college grad. I worked full time at a fast food restaurant as a manager to pay my way through college. I left school with no debt...none...minimum wage was $3.35/hr. Supporting myself and paying for college was a juggle, no doubt. My grades suffered and I got little sleep as a CIS major. My parents refused to help me in any way. When I lived at home as a teen, they paid my way through private school, since we lived in the city, but they told me after high school that I was financially on my own.
    Now, I have three kids in college this year. My oldest will be a Sophomore, and I will use her as an example. My oldest has worked a job since she was 14yo. We required her to save half of all she made. She entered her Freshman year in the dorms with $6000 in the bank. We asked that she pay for her room and board. Now, she works beyond full time all summer to pay for her living expenses while away at school. Once she goes away to school, she can get away with 10hours per week and manages to support herself. As far as tuition, we are picking up the tab, but in all honesty, if she had to pay, she could buckle down and do it with minimal loans. I would not support her working full time like I did, but instead I would encourage her to work a few more hours a week, get two more room-mates, and take out minimal loans. I would not support her asking for help on the Bridge card. Back when I was a student, I was not a dependent of my parents; I had fully moved out and on my own. I did not request state aid although I often felt like I would have qualified.
    Is it impossible to put yourself through school, today? NO. There are jobs, even minimum wage ones. If you apply yourself and work your ass off in the summer, picking up less hours during the school year, it can be done. I only help my daughter so she can have a more relaxed college experience than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zackdog View Post
    A negative attitude towards EVERYTHING is NOT going to get you a job, friends, or a room at your Mothers. Volunteering is an excellent way to get in the door, unless you don't want to do anything when you get there.

My god man, change the attitude. Everything is about taking advantage of opportunity, not finding reasons NOT to do something.

Blah to the whiners - and no sympathy either. Geez..................
    What are you talking about? You are the one with an attitude. I simply said that I can't find a job. I do volunteer work. It hasn't gotten me a job yet, but I do enjoy it. What is your deal?

Quote Originally Posted by CityGirl View Post
    Hi! New here.
    I am a late 80s college grad. I worked full time at a fast food restaurant as a manager to pay my way through college. I left school with no debt...none...minimum wage was $3.35/hr. Supporting myself and paying for college was a juggle, no doubt. My grades suffered and I got little sleep as a CIS major. My parents refused to help me in any way. When I lived at home as a teen, they paid my way through private school, since we lived in the city, but they told me after high school that I was financially on my own.
    Now, I have three kids in college this year. My oldest will be a Sophomore, and I will use her as an example. My oldest has worked a job since she was 14yo. We required her to save half of all she made. She entered her Freshman year in the dorms with $6000 in the bank. We asked that she pay for her room and board. Now, she works beyond full time all summer to pay for her living expenses while away at school. Once she goes away to school, she can get away with 10hours per week and manages to support herself. As far as tuition, we are picking up the tab, but in all honesty, if she had to pay, she could buckle down and do it with minimal loans. I would not support her working full time like I did, but instead I would encourage her to work a few more hours a week, get two more room-mates, and take out minimal loans. I would not support her asking for help on the Bridge card. Back when I was a student, I was not a dependent of my parents; I had fully moved out and on my own. I did not request state aid although I often felt like I would have qualified.
    Is it impossible to put yourself through school, today? NO. There are jobs, even minimum wage ones. If you apply yourself and work your ass off in the summer, picking up less hours during the school year, it can be done. I only help my daughter so she can have a more relaxed college experience than I did.
    Well, it's great that your daughter can find jobs but I apply for jobs constantly. And yes, I do follow up. McDonalds doesn't want to hire a nearly 30 year old woman with management experience as a part-time cashier. It's no secret that I can support myself if I can find a job. Obviously, I haven't found one yet.

I worked a job since I was 13. I got kicked out without a car or a way to get to work, so any savings I had went away pretty quickly. You know, everyone has been in different situations and I am really getting tired of people making assumptions.

I don't know how she supports herself with 10 hours a week because that wouldn't even pay my rent alone, and my rent is cheap. Obviously she isn't doing everything on her own. I never go "away" to school. I go to school year-round and I don't come home to mommy in the Summer and get to save up money while not paying rent.

And, wait... you are picking up the tab on her tuition? Wow. Well, that sure makes all of the difference in the world. My Pell grant doesn't even cover my tuition, so how you would expect me to even just pay for tuition [[let alone living expenses) without loans is beyond me. You have no business making assumptions about someone in my position.

Wanna know why tuition is so high?

University of Washington football coach Steve Sarkisian earned nearly $2 million last year, more than any other employee in the Evergreen State’s government.
    Staffers at state research universities earned the top 55 salaries in state government
    The OFM report also shows that University of Washington and Washington State University athletic coaches were five of the top seven paid government employees and the UW had 35 of the top 40 salaries in state government [[many of them medical researchers).
    Rounding out the Top 7 were No. 2, UW basketball coach Lorenzo Romar [[$1,117,050); WSU basketball coach Ken Bone [[$746,415); UW assistant football coach Nick Holt [[$652,229), WSU President Elson Floyd [[$625,000), WSU football coach Paul Wulff [[$551,670) and UW athletic director Scott Woodward [[$550,008).

The UW medical school and researchers rounded out the Top 10 – with neurosurgeon Laligam Sekhar earning $547,980, followed by untenured professors Jorge Dionisio Reyes, at $521,304, and Donald W. Miller, $516,552.
    http://www.theolympian.com/2011/08/1...-gregoire.html

Meanwhile, the students are struggling to eat.

What are you talking about? You are the one with an attitude. I simply said that I can't find a job.......
    Ummmmm, that's not what you said here:
    I have said it before and I will say it again: Find me a full-time job and I will work...........

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Wanna know why tuition is so high?

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/08/1...-gregoire.html

Meanwhile, the students are struggling to eat.
    College coaches salary comes from the money that the athletic programs bring in through bowl games, tournaments, etc., not from state funding. As far as the researchers, most of the time their funding come from grants and foundations, again not from tuition or state funding. But hey, why let facts cloud your chest pounding!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Ummmmm, that's not what you said here:
    I fail to see the discrepancy. What are you talking about? I can't find a job to replace my current work-study job and I said that if someone wants to offer me one I will take it. I have made it clear in several posts that I have been looking for both part-time and full-time jobs endlessly. Find something better to do.

Well, it's great that your daughter can find jobs but I apply for jobs constantly. And yes, I do follow up. McDonalds doesn't want to hire a nearly 30 year old woman with management experience as a part-time cashier. It's no secret that I can support myself if I can find a job. Obviously, I haven't found one yet.

I worked a job since I was 13. I got kicked out without a car or a way to get to work, so any savings I had went away pretty quickly. You know, everyone has been in different situations and I am really getting tired of people making assumptions.

I don't know how she supports herself with 10 hours a week because that wouldn't even pay my rent alone, and my rent is cheap. Obviously she isn't doing everything on her own. I never go "away" to school. I go to school year-round and I don't come home to mommy in the Summer and get to save up money while not paying rent.

And, wait... you are picking up the tab on her tuition? Wow. Well, that sure makes all of the difference in the world. My Pell grant doesn't even cover my tuition, so how you would expect me to even just pay for tuition [[let alone living expenses) without loans is beyond me. You have no business making assumptions about someone in my position.
    Epiphany, how about you re-read my post, because I explained all the questions you just asked me.
    Now I learn you are 30? Wow. Just wow. There are jobs, I am sorry. You may not like them very much, but what I have learned in my 44 years of life is this: there are so many lazy, ungrateful people in the working community, that when a driven, willing-to-do-what-is-asked potential employee comes along, employers eat them up. This tells me that you need to adjust your outlook and attitude.

I fail to see the discrepancy. What are you talking about? I can't find a job to replace my current work-study job and I said that if someone wants to offer me one I will take it. I have made it clear in several posts that I have been looking for both part-time and full-time jobs endlessly. Find something better to do.
    I have a ton of better things to do than to make a second post on this thread, but I'll give it one last try in the hopes that you will have that flash of understanding you so desperately need.

Your oblivious comments "I have said it before and I will say it again: Find me a full time job and I will work." and now "....if someone wants to offer me one I will take it." both suggest to me that you are probably subconsciously subverting your chances of success in the full-time job marketplace, regardless of how much job hunting you do.

I guess some of you missed all the news stories lately about hundreds of applicants for every job out there. I don't think the wrong "attitude" is the problem.

If we continue to blame the victim, it just shows we want to make sure the victim bears full responsibility for their problem and any solution thereof. We don't have to bend our attention to it that way. It's not our problem. Pass by on the other side of the road and go home with a clean conscience. But clean soul? That's another issue entirely.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    College coaches salary comes from the money that the athletic programs bring in through bowl games, tournaments, etc., not from state funding. As far as the researchers, most of the time their funding come from grants and foundations, again not from tuition or state funding. But hey, why let facts cloud your chest pounding!
    Not true. The vast majority of college athletic departments ARE NOT self-supporting. As far as the researchers go any funding they get from grants and foundations is NOT reflected in their University pay.

I guess some of you missed all the news stories lately about hundreds of applicants for every job out there. I don't think the wrong "attitude" is the problem.
    With so much competition for the few available openings, an applicant who even thinks, much less writes, "if you want to offer me a job, I'll take it" doesn't stand a chance!

bartock Guest

Yeah, I did. Got a source?

bartock Guest

...and how is it that this is exclusively affecting Michigan college students to the extent that Michigan aligning their food welfare program qualifications with those of the federal government makes them victims, or why Michigan college students who do not qualify for federal assistance should be given state assistance for food, as opposed to college students in other states?

Quote Originally Posted by Zackdog View Post
    A negative attitude towards EVERYTHING is NOT going to get you a job.......
    What are you talking about? You are the one with an attitude...
    I think attitude has a lot to do with not being hired. The tone of your postings lead me to believe you were an immature 22 year-old, not a woman that is almost 30.

Post #24 – It’s not your fault that you don’t have a 4.0 GPA, it’s the school’s fault. No – It is your responsibility to make sure your transcripts are correct.

Post #71 – It’s not your fault you can’t get hired, it’s the employers fault. No, if you project yourself to potential employers, like you project yourself here, I’m not surprised that you haven’t been hired.

Post #100 – It’s not your fault that you can’t move back home, it’s your “evil step-dads” fault. “Evil step-dad”??? How old are you again? No, don’t burn your bridges, especially with family.

Call Molly Maids.

Apply at 24 hour grocery stores in your area. They’re always looking for help with midnights.

Apply for waitressing. Even if you don’t have experience, if you’re smart, they’ll train you.

On another thread, you posted that you and the boyfriend moved to Dearborn. I’ll go out on a limb and assume that you live together and share expenses.

On this thread, I got the sense that you had the weight of the world on your shoulders, you had to pay for everything on your own. Does he eat from your bridge card or does he have his own?

If you spent half the energy on being a survivor, as you do on being a victim, you would fare much better.

"This country should provide all of its citizens with food, shelter, and healthcare no matter what.... We are all human and we can only do so much with out help."

China has a communist system, maybe you would like it there. They do allow some property ownership and self-employment but you should be able to avoid that ickiness.

thatguy123 Guest

[QUOTE=MissingDetroit;265321

China has a communist system, maybe you would like it there. They do allow some property ownership and self-employment but you should be able to avoid that ickiness.[/QUOTE]

the guy who typed the quote above would love to see people die in the streets. What a sick and disgusting individual.

Lets just let people starve and die, it is the right thing to do apparently. /sarcasm

Thank you! I tried telling her that a number of posts ago. I'm in retail, and am directly responsible for about 65 employees. If someone smart, professional, positively upbeat, and takes care of themselves comes in looking for a part-time job, it is RARE that I don't find room for them. If anything, the slackers get their hours cut to give the newbie a try.

Attitude and appearance are everything. Mainly attitude.

That's great, Zackdog. [[seriously, I'm not being sarcastic) That's one job. So you have a full time student and one job, about 20 hours a week at approx. $7.40/hr. = $148 before taxes. You're going to need another job. Another part time job at the same hours and wage will bring in $296. Everyone knows that 20 is a lot of hours at a part time job and many part time workers don't get more than a shift or two a week.

We're so small and mean in this country we can't get it through our heads that for better or for worse, we're in the economy we're in and without blaming young people for being young or old people for being old, we have to do SOMETHING to help people get by. I'm thrilled to pay my taxes, I like things like roads and clean water and food for poor children and food stamps for struggling students [[or anyone else who needs them). And no, I won't go to China, you history-challenged poster.

For the record, I'm in favor of large-scale infrastructure project, initiated by the federal government, to build roads and upgrade the electrical grid and build clean energy project and get the country functioning again. So nobody will have to go on assistance.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast