Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by tvaspen View Post
    First of all it's called Motor City Denim, They also sell T-shirts and accessories, we carry them [[not the jeans) at our store in Berkley, if there is a store downtown that would like to sell some of their merchandise, I'm sure Joe would be more than happy to oblige. The reason they had to use the manufacturing facility in Sterling Heights is because they were the only ones in the area that had the machines capable of producing the denim. They accually had to buy the american made industrial sewing machines in China to sew them. they also had a hard time find production seamstesses, apparently a lost art anymore in this country. Yes the jeans are expensive, though not out of line as far as fashion jeans go. They are planning on producing jackets as well. It seems everybody bitches about not being able to buy items produced in the USA, but are unwilling to support the companies that are trying. It cost a lot more right now to produce items here than it does in China, but the more that things are produced and bought here, the sooner the costs and the prices will come down. If you can't afford the jeans, buy a T-shirt or something, support local manufacturers.
    look, i get the reasons WHY they had to do what they did, but there was no discussion of that. You're telling me that the fact that there is no factory space that can work with denim in 135 square miles of a city built on industry shouldn't raise an eyebrow or two? that should be part of the discussion about the massive problems facing the city. Multiple times it was mentioned they needed to go to China to get machines, but no mention of having to go to Sterling Heights to get a factory. Was this a news story or a puff piece? I didn't watch the whole thing, its dvr'd.

I did see that Bob Ritchie made an appearance. Is he going to discuss his "made in Detroit" label? I'm betting he didn't mention the part about moving it to Warren. Are we going to get a soliloquy about how bad-ass Webberville is?

The thing I found ironic was that from what the segment showed, they [[like bob) could have been in Cleveland. There was nothing "detroit" about the stuff except that they used the auto industry and a gritty image as fashion and marketing inspiration ...that and the closest they came to Detroit in the segment was Maple road.

It seems everybody bitches about not being able to buy items produced in the USA, but are unwilling to support the companies that are trying
    Ok, but again, this wasn't a story about stuff made in the USA, this was a show called "Detroit in Overdrive". More power to the guys in making millions... I hope they do, but the segment was a bit like making an "Imported from Detroit" commercial for a company that is 51% Italian with it's American HQ in Auburn Hills. It rings a bit false.

Sometimes this board thinks people from the suburbs need to claim they're from Detroit, and other times they complain when they're not in the city limits. It's hard to keep up.

As far as Motor City Denim...I believe the reason they're in Sterling Heights is that they are being made by a company that also makes an industrial product. The factory and company already existed. It was a partnership that grew from the Sterling Heights factory seeing a downturn. Sure, they could have found a factory in Detroit...but not one that was as ready for production.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    The thing I found ironic was that from what the segment showed, they [[like bob) could have been in Cleveland. There was nothing "detroit" about the stuff except that they used the auto industry and a gritty image as fashion and marketing inspiration ...that and the closest they came to Detroit in the segment was Maple Road.
    Before you make statements like your last one, I suggest you watch all the episodes. There was plenty of Detroit representation, with CCS, the Heidelberg Project, urban gardens, the artists setting up shop in the Russel Industrial Complex and community clean up efforts.

And it may be shocking to some, but to the rest of the country Warren, Sterling Heights and Auburn Hills is Detroit.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Sometimes this board thinks people from the suburbs need to claim they're from Detroit, and other times they complain when they're not in the city limits. It's hard to keep up.

As far as Motor City Denim...I believe the reason they're in Sterling Heights is that they are being made by a company that also makes an industrial product. The factory and company already existed. It was a partnership that grew from the Sterling Heights factory seeing a downturn. Sure, they could have found a factory in Detroit...but not one that was as ready for production.
    Funny, isn't it? I can't keep up, either.

What a pain in the arse the ongoing discussion is. Does Detroit mean the region, or the city limits?

It usually means whatever is convenient to someone who wants to bitch about an issue.

The larger region has been impacted by the very same things that have impacted the city limits. The city can't do well without the region doing well, and the region can't do well without the city doing well.

We're all Detroit. We're all in this together. All of our thoughts and opinions and hard work matters when it advocates positive change for the city or the region.

The special last night that I saw showcased a LOT of cool stuff within the city limits as well as the extended region.

I'll agree Webberville is a bit of a stretch being closer to Lansing than Detroit. But again, the facility was already up and running and able to take on the Bad Ass production much more easily than any other place, including any in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Novack View Post
    The singer in the "It Takes a Village" is Andrew in the band NOMAN
    Andy Beers, yeah I got it, thanks.

just watched all three hours and was very moved by what i saw. im a product of da burbs and never had much pride in being from the metro detroit area.. that has changed. my 21 year old daughter is very active in revitalizing the city and now i better understand her disire to make that change .

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Before you make statements like your last one, I suggest you watch all the episodes. There was plenty of Detroit representation, with CCS, the Heidelberg Project, urban gardens, the artists setting up shop in the Russel Industrial Complex and community clean up efforts.

And it may be shocking to some, but to the rest of the country Warren, Sterling Heights and Auburn Hills is Detroit.
    I wasn't talking about the rest of it. The REST of it was completely on point for all the reasons you noted. What found to be glaringly inconsistent was the Bob Ritchie and designer jeans segments. They just hit a completely wrong note for me in what was otherwise a really entertaining and encouraging series.

What a pain in the arse the ongoing discussion is. Does Detroit mean the region, or the city limits?
    it wasn't Ann Arbor in overdrive. It wasn't Royal Oak in Overdrive, it wasnt Michigan in Overdrive, and it certainly wasn't Brimingham in overdrive. So, in this particular instance... Detroit means Detroit. They weren't driving around Hazel Park, or Novi or Royal Oak for those gritty street scenes and other B roll. The entire focus was on a rust belt city clawing it's way back. IIRC every other segment focused on business, industry, or education going on IN Detroit.

Again, as I've said repeatedly. This is not to say someone from SEM can not say they're from "Detroit" or that only people from Detroit can be Detroit focused, or have a say in, or be all about Detroit things. I am saying that if you're going to trade on the "Detroit" label....be a Detroit "bad ass"... be all about the "motor city cool factor", doing it from Sterling heights or Birmingham, or Warren or Webberville is just weak. It would be nice if Bob put his considerable monies where his mouth is and actually invested in Detroit instead of coasting off it's perceived "gritty" image. Same with these jeans guys. you're telling me there isn't ONE clothing entrepreneur in Detroit, employing Detroiters that they could have featured? Not one? Oh yeah, this guy was on a game show, so... of course they wouldn't look anywhere else.
    Last edited by bailey; August-08-11 at 10:24 AM.

I wasn't talking about the rest of it. The REST of it was completely on point for all the reasons you noted. What found to be glaringly inconsistent was the Bob Ritchie and designer jeans segments. They just hit a completely wrong note for me in what was otherwise a really entertaining and encouraging series.

it wasn't Ann Arbor in overdrive. It wasn't Royal Oak in Overdrive, it wasnt Michigan in Overdrive, and it certainly wasn't Brimingham in overdrive. So, in this particular instance... Detroit means Detroit. They weren't driving around Hazel Park, or Novi or Royal Oak for those gritty street scenes and other B roll. The entire focus was on a rust belt city clawing it's way back. IIRC every other segment focused on business, industry, or education going on IN Detroit.

Again, as I've said repeatedly. This is not to say someone from SEM can not say they're from "Detroit" or that only people from Detroit can be Detroit focused, or have a say in, or be all about Detroit things. I am saying that if you're going to trade on the "Detroit" label....be a Detroit "bad ass"... be all about the "motor city cool factor", doing it from Sterling heights or Birmingham, or Warren or Webberville is just weak. It would be nice if Bob put his considerable monies where his mouth is and actually invested in Detroit instead of coasting off it's perceived "gritty" image. Same with these jeans guys. you're telling me there isn't ONE clothing entrepreneur in Detroit, employing Detroiters that they could have featured? Not one? Oh yeah, this guy was on a game show, so... of course they wouldn't look anywhere else.
    Again, you define "Detroit" as just the city proper. Others, clearly including the makers of the mini-series, define Detroit as a region.

I'm sorry but in this particular instance, Detroit clearly means the region.

There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. No one should be made to feel like they are pulling a fast one, or being less than genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerKid View Post
    Again, you define "Detroit" as just the city proper. Others, clearly including the makers of the mini-series, define Detroit as a region.

I'm sorry but in this particular instance, Detroit clearly means the region.

There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. No one should be made to feel like they are pulling a fast one, or being less than genuine.
    Ok. look. agree to disagree I guess, but I'll go to the source.

Laura Michalchyshyn, president and general manager of Planet Green. “It was our goal to document and inspire new awareness of a once-thriving city being resurrected by its devoted citizens and communities. We are thrilled to offer America a close look at the struggles Detroiters have had to face — and how they are fighting back for the city they love.”
    ...not "region", or " State"

and then there is this:
    Added GM chief marketing officer Joel Ewanick: “In addition to doing everything we can to support the city of Detroit, we also need to support the efforts to communicate the City’s progress and positive stories. Working with Planet Green, we are pleased to present this story about the great American spirit and the great stories behind the rebirth of this important American city.
    not important "region" or "state"

then there is this:
    Episode One, ‘Reinventing the Motor City,’ tells the story of Joe Faris, a fashion designer who moved back to Detroit from New York City to start a garment company. His line of jeans, Motor City Denim, are designed and constructed in a retrofitted factory — TDIC – that has made protective covers for robots for the automotive industry for more than 30 years. Joe’s new denim designs incorporate seatbelts, rivets and other car inspired elements found around the factory.
    Except that per Mr. Faris' own profile on his website it's
    Joe Faris
    Senior Designer at Motor City Denim Co.
    Greater New York City Area | Apparel & Fashion
    which kind of calls into question that first part about him. They then leave out the fact the factory isnt in the city that is allegedly the focus of the documentary thus not helping that city "fight back".

Five-time Grammy nominated rocker and Detroit native, Kid Rock created his own beer label, Badass Beer, to create jobs and give back to the city he loves.
    Except he's a native of Romeo. And they miss the fact that the beer is made an hour and half from Detroit, creates no Detroit jobs and, for the life of me, I can not figure out what connection it has with Detroit.

Frankly if I were Motor city Brewery or Atwater I'd be a little pissed. They actually invested in the city and not in Webberville....where I'm sure it would have been far easier to do. Of course...they don't have a rocker from Romeo as a celebrity owner.

So yeah, I think Bob Ritchie is being a lot less than genuine when he rambles on about Detroit love and helping Detroit when he clearly isn't. I'd like someone to ask him that question because I would like to understand HOW he actually is helping because it appears nothing he does impacts Detroit in any real way. by that I mean in other than in a negative way as he did with "made in Detroit" when he removed a business from Detroit.

It seems pretty clear to me that your very finite, by-the-book and specific definition of what makes up the city of Detroit is not the one that the makers of that mini-series [[and at least some of the people featured in it) prescribe to.

It seems they are using the term "city" more loosely, much in the same fashion as someone that lives in Redford does when asked while visiting New Orleans "Where are you from?". The answer is often "Detroit". Same often happens if they are from Sterling Heights, Romeo, etc....

But if you want to paint the show itself, and some of the people that appear in it frauds to some degree, fine by me. We can agree to disagree.

I for one am glad that they are doing what the do in Michigan, near Detroit, and in many cases within the city limits of Detroit proper. It beats the alternative. It's better for Michigan, the SE Michigan area, and Detroit city proper.

Ok. look. agree to disagree I guess, but I'll go to the source.

...not "region", or " State"

and then there is this:
    not important "region" or "state"

then there is this:

Except that per Mr. Faris' own profile on his website it's
    which kind of calls into question that first part about him. They then leave out the fact the factory isnt in the city that is allegedly the focus of the documentary thus not helping that city "fight back".

Except he's a native of Romeo. And they miss the fact that the beer is made an hour and half from Detroit, creates no Detroit jobs and, for the life of me, I can not figure out what connection it has with Detroit.

Frankly if I were Motor city Brewery or Atwater I'd be a little pissed. They actually invested in the city and not in Webberville....where I'm sure it would have been far easier to do. Of course...they don't have a rocker from Romeo as a celebrity owner.

So yeah, I think Bob Ritchie is being a lot less than genuine when he rambles on about Detroit love and helping Detroit when he clearly isn't. I'd like someone to ask him that question because I would like to understand HOW he actually is helping because it appears nothing he does impacts Detroit in any real way. by that I mean in other than in a negative way as he did with "made in Detroit" when he removed a business from Detroit.
    I completely understand what you are saying bailey and it makes sense. I know SO MANY entreprenures who are doing their thing w/in the COD borders and the program supposedly is focusing on that important American city. Now as far as those who show their support from far away I still have some love for them BUT I feel that more people who are actually doing their thing IN the city which is where the struggle is should have been featured.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2