Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I foresee lots of Republicans in the Bloomfields and Birmingham asking themselves, "Why the f**k did we vote for this moron again?"

Without getting into racial issues at all, even if every added student in Bloomfield Hills Schools were to be equally prepared and motivated, and were to have equally involved parents, the dollars tell you that Schools of Choice will inevitably result in dilution of education quality. In the '09-'10 school year [[ http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...0_349994_7.pdf - go to page 32 of the pdf), BHS had about $14,700 to spend on each student. That's because we tax ourselves sufficiently at the local level to provide more than $8,000 per student. Tell me $7,000 from the state for each out-of-district kid will be sufficient to accommodate the new kids while still maintaining the course offerings and quality presently offered. The numbers for Birmingham Public Schools are similar. I suppose there will be lots more parents contemplating stretching to afford the tuition at Country Day, Cranbrook, or Roper.

Another district that likely will be up in arms is Southfield [[yes, Southfield). Southfield Public Schools also do not offer schools of choice, probably because they also have more than $14,000 in funding per student, likely because of all of the commercial property in the district.

I'm betting this will be one vote in the legislature that will not be strictly along party lines. And if it is I predict lynch mobs coming after Chuck Moss and John Pappageorge.

If Snyder really tries to push this he will be history by next fall.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I foresee lots of Republicans in the Bloomfields and Birmingham asking themselves, "Why the f**k did we vote for this moron again?"

Without getting into racial issues at all, even if every added student in Bloomfield Hills Schools were to be equally prepared and motivated, and were to have equally involved parents, the dollars tell you that Schools of Choice will inevitably result in dilution of education quality. In the '09-'10 school year [[ http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...0_349994_7.pdf - go to page 32 of the pdf), BHS had about $14,700 to spend on each student. That's because we tax ourselves sufficiently at the local level to provide more than $8,000 per student. Tell me $7,000 from the state for each out-of-district kid will be sufficient to accommodate the new kids while still maintaining the course offerings and quality presently offered. The numbers for Birmingham Public Schools are similar. I suppose there will be lots more parents contemplating stretching to afford the tuition at Country Day, Cranbrook, or Roper.

Another district that likely will be up in arms is Southfield [[yes, Southfield). Southfield Public Schools also do not offer schools of choice, probably because they also have more than $14,000 in funding per student, likely because of all of the commercial property in the district.

I'm betting this will be one vote in the legislature that will not be strictly along party lines. And if it is I predict lynch mobs coming after Chuck Moss and John Pappageorge.
    Right on. I voted for and have defended Snyder, but this has me pissed.

Hmmn ------ It IS a bad day when conservatives do not behave conservatively or when dems don't behave liberally re. certain politics and policies... Expect more of this shift-shaping in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Right on. I voted for and have defended Snyder, but this has me pissed.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-25-11 at 08:29 AM.

If the residents of Grosse Pointe or Bloomfield vote to have a higher millage for additional funding for schools, then it should be their choice if they accept students from other districts.

So 'Richville' will let 'Underpriviledge' kids into their fancy schools. Ok, Let's see what happens if they bring them bring those Detroit kids from the other side of Mack and Alter Rd. to Deiter Elementary and see how the demographics change.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

While Poupard Elementary is filling up with African American students.

Nada, I miss you so.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    If the residents of Grosse Pointe or Bloomfield vote to have a higher millage for additional funding for schools, then it should be their choice if they accept students from other districts.
    Exactly. It isn't about being liberal or conservative.

I agree with that to a point. But it seems that some GPP residents are surprised or at least disappointed that Snyder would choose to implement this option.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Exactly. It isn't about being liberal or conservative.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I agree with that to a point. But it seems that some GPP residents are surprised or at least disappointed that Snyder would choose to implement this option.
    I admit to being a case of careful what you wish for. I didn't think that I was against the EFM thing, but now I am. Hard for me to say "hey wait, you can't do THAT [[school of choice)" if I'm supporting him doing the EFM.