Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

crawford Guest

Warren isn't the "outer region"; it's just as much the core as Detroit. There is absolutely no difference in density between the Warren and Detroit sides of 8 Mile. It's not like some township in Livingston County is trying to lure GM.

I agree that Detroit SHOULD be greedy; however the same holds true for Warren.

And the "healthy core is necessary for healthy outer region" is obvious B.S.

LA, Phoenix, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, etc. etc. all have weak and pathetic cores [[many of these cores are weaker than Detroit's core), yet they have some of the fastest American population and economic growth in the past half century.

Oakland County has become one of the richest and most successful places on earth, and did it concurrent with the destruction of Detroit. You really thing Big Beaver Road would be stronger if downtown Detroit were stronger?
    Last edited by crawford; May-29-09 at 11:20 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Warren isn't the "outer region"; it's just as much the core as Detroit.
    Okay, you don't know what you're talking about...next!

MIRepublic Guest

Detroit's the historic central city, Warren is a suburb. I've never quite understood why anyone believes that the relationship should be the same in both directions.

BTW, concurrent is hardly the most appropriate adjective or phrase; it's far too kind.

Oh, and Ficano and Bing don't really have another option, unless moving to Warren is an option. I was surprised, but pleasantly, to see Bing's words for Fouts, yesterday.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Okay, you don't know what you're talking about...next!
    My bad, Bear.

I assumed you had at least some knowledge of the past half century in metro Detroit. I didn't know you were posting from a retirement home in Florida, and hadn't set foot in Michigan since the Cavanaugh administration.

Quick recap of the last 50 years:
    1. Warren is no longer an exurb. It's old, dense, and declining.
    2. Detroit is no longer the region's job center, and has lost 60% of its population.
    3. Oakland County is the region's population and job center.
    4. Downtown Detroit is a long way from the region's executive neighborhoods.
    5. Proximity to Bloomfield Hills is probably the biggest factor in white collar relocation decisions.
    6. The Honeymooners was cancelled, but is still in syndication.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    My bad, Bear.

I assumed you had at least some knowledge of the past half century in metro Detroit. I didn't know you were posting from a retirement home in Florida, and hadn't set foot in Michigan since the Cavanaugh administration.

Quick recap of the last 50 years:
    1. Warren is no longer an exurb. It's old, dense, and declining.
    2. Detroit is no longer the region's job center, and has lost 60% of its population.
    3. Oakland County is the region's population and job center.
    4. Downtown Detroit is a long way from the region's executive neighborhoods.
    5. Proximity to Bloomfield Hills is probably the biggest factor in white collar relocation decisions.
    6. The Honeymooners was cancelled, but is still in syndication.
    So a place is either "an exurb" or "just as much the core as Detroit?" The inner-city ends somewhere around Hall Road? Your posts are all snark and no logic.